Chapter 50 ~ Peeta

Day 5
12:24 AM

I'm sitting next to Katniss in the dark cave. We sit in silence; she's been moody and silent all day. I know it's because of Gale; he died last night.

I don't know how I feel about him being dead. It's not like I hated the guy - he was an okay friend. But he kind of annoyed me. I felt there was always constant competition between us. He tried to steal Katniss away from me, even when he knew that Katniss and I were suppose to act like "star crossed lovers". My life is more organized now that he's gone. I can never let Katniss know that, though.

Tony and Steve aren't in the cave; they're sitting outside in the dark, which is kind of suspicious. We've only been their allies for a day, and I think they're weird. I don't trust them at all. I sort of did at the beginning of our alliance, but they barely acknowledge Katniss and I. It's like they're just using us for supplies and water and shelter. In fact, I know they're just using us for supplies and water.

I suddenly become angry at them. "What do you think they're talking about?" I ask Katniss quietly, looking outside at them.

"Could be anything," she says loudly.

"Shh," I say, almost whispering. "This cave has an echo. They can probably hear."

"I don't care," Katniss says rudely, still talking in a loud voice. I know her moodiness should affect me, but it doesn't. I'm used to it by now.

"Should I go see?"

She rolls her eyes at me. "Do whatever you want."

I ignore her moodiness and stand up. I walk out the cave and towards them, trying to keep it casual. I reach the spot where they're sitting.

"Hey," I say, sitting down on the rocks by Steve.

Steve nods towards me. He looks uncomfortable - they both do. They stopped talking once I came over, which tells me they were probably talking about Katniss and I. I'm not surprised. I feel uncomfortable even being near them. I need to do something about it.

I was just about to say something but Steve speaks up. "So, what's the plan for tomorrow? We should probably go hunting and find more water."

"That's what I was thinking," I say, even though that's not what I was thinking. "The water's gone. We didn't have very much to begin with," I add, trying to hint at the fact I think they're just using us.

"Yeah, snow was our main source of water," Steve says, looking up at the sky. "I wonder if it'll snow again." All of the snow melted today. All of it. The arena is left in a wet, ugly mess. I don't prefer the cold, but I hope it will snow again.

"Jarvis, give me weather," Tony says to his suit, which is next to him. I remember him promising himself he wouldn't use it; I thought he wanted to save the power. That was just this morning and he's already breaking his promise. Wow. This guy has an addiction to technology.

"Tonight it will be cloudy, a high of 35 degrees fahrenheit," Jarvis replies.

"What about tomorrow," Tony says, somewhat annoyed. It's crazy to see how much he doesn't appreciate technology. He doesn't even know people like Katniss and I barely had electricity in the first place.

"A high of 33 degrees fahrenheit. Chance of snow 80%," Jarvis says.

"Good," Steve says. "We'll hunt and collect water then."

"Katniss and I can hunt and you guys can collect water," I suggest.

Steve nods. "Good plan."

"Well, I think I'll hit the hay. Who's got watch?" I ask.