Chapter 48 ~ Newt

Day 4
6:43 PM

Despair.

I've fell into despair.

I've been worrying about Minho all day. He talks less and less and sleeps more and more as the hours go by. This morning, he woke up and could hardly talk or move. He won't eat nor drink, no matter how much Hermione tells him he should. He sleeps, and that's it.

Therefore, I feel just as bad as he does. All I did today was just sit by him and study the ground. I hardly ate or drank today. I'm so depressed and worried, that I can't do anything but sit and stare.

I'm not the only one, either. Thomas isn't as bad as me, but he's still pretty miserable. Hermione is too, because one of the guys she came here with died yesterday. Once in a while, they talk to each other, but their conversations end quick. This afternoon, Thomas's boredom must've come to an extreme, though, because he told Hermione everything about the Maze and the Glade. It was horrible to hear him tell it to her, because it brought me memories that I didn't want to recall.

Thomas has been ignoring me all day. I don't think he even looked at me once. It's all because of our argument last night. It's childish, but still. I can't seem to get over it.

The weather today didn't help our moods. Everything is melting and wet. All of our stuff is wet, except for the stuff in the backpack, because it's waterproof. So is our clothes, so that's one positive thing that came out of today.

So, that's how today was. Horrible. Deplorable. Miserable. All four of us are half dead and in despair. Pure despair.

I poke the ground and get drowned with another wave of worry. I barely heard a word out of Minho all day, and he's sleeping right now.

I hear faint voices of Hermione and Thomas, but I don't look up. I continue to examine the melting snow.

"Hey, Newt, we're gonna go on a walk and try to find some firewood," I hear Hermione's voice say.

I look up. "A walk?" I say, disgusted.

"We're bored," she continues. "We'll come right back once we find some logs." I consider making them stay but it's useless. I don't care what happens to them. Right now my only concern in Minho.

"Whatever. You do you," I say as sassily as I can, earning a bad look from Thomas and a 'why did you have to go start this up again' look from Hermione. I look down, and hear Thomas disappear in the woods with Hermione.

"You really let him do that?" I hear Minho's raspy voice. A full sentence.

"Huh?" I look at him, shocked he's speaking.

"You let him take your girl?"

I roll my eyes and shake my head but don't say anything.

"I wouldn't let him if I were you," he says.

"I know," I say through a sigh.

I lean against a tree and look up at the sky. It's evening, so the sky is starting to get a little dark. It's completely clear and cloudless. The temperature isn't too cold. I'm guessing about 45 degrees. Most of the snow melted today. I still wear my winter hat, though. Overall it's nice out. The look of the sky and the weather don't match my mood.