Spring Days *31*

You could hear your heart beating. Rather than coming from your chest it was a steady high pitch beep from beside you. It took you a few moments for your mind to push through the haze and realize it was a heart monitor. You struggled to open your eyes, but when you finally managed to pry open your heavy lids the sight of a white hospital room greeted you. It was roomy and your bed was the only one in it. A window off to the right let sunshine in.

Your body felt heavy. Not in the way that filled you with pain, but just heavy as in exhaustion. You shifted around on the bed to sit up some. The door opened and, out of all the people you expected to walk in, Vanitas stepped into the room. He looked completely healed minus a bandage peeking out from under his black T-shirt.

"Oh look, the little stray finally decided to wake up." He took a seat by your bed, "Your parents went down to the cafeteria to eat and I said I'd keep an eye on you."

"Vanitas..." You smiled, "We're alive."

Vanitas shook his head, "You're out for a week and a half and that's the first words you choose to say?"

"A week and a half?" You repeated. The haze in your mind was starting to disappear.

"Yeah. Your injuries were pretty extensive. I mean we had to amputate all the fingers from your left hand because of those gloves."

"What?!" You threw your hands up and out from under you blankets. Your hands were the normal skin tone and you still had all ten fingers. You wiggled them around before setting them down on your lap. "Vanitas, you're not human."

"That's the thanks I get for saving your life?"

You stared at him. His golden eyes stayed steady with your gaze and his black hair was messier than usual. He had his keyblade in necklace form around his neck. How do you thank a person you owed everything to?

"Come here." You murmured and sat up more. You held out your hands and motioned for Vanitas to get closer to you.

"What? Why?" His natural glare leaked out.

"Just shut up and get closer." You snapped. He sighed and pulled the chair closer so he was sitting as close as he could without climbing up onto the bed. He sat there nonchalantly, but he tensed up as you set both hands on the side of his face. His eyes widened slightly as you leaned forward and pressed your lips on his cheek at the corner of his lips. "Thank you Vanitas. I owe you everything and I doubt if I can ever really repay you."

Vanitas leaned back and shifted in his seat, "Almost die, then saved you and your boyfriend, and all I get is a lousy kiss on the cheek?"

He scoffed and stood up heading for the door. A smile slipped onto your lips at the sight of the light pink color that flashed across his cheeks, "Honestly woman, what kind of thank you gift is that? I'm going to get your parents, don't move."

He left the room and a chuckled slipped from your lips. You wondered where the others were. All your friends and [BOC]. Were they eating food in the cafeteria too?

It seemed like only seconds passed before a familiar face poked their head in. Your eyes widened in surprise, "Kairi?"

The red haired girl stepped into the room sheepishly. She gave you a tentative smile. In her hand was a large basket filled with an assortment of foods and candy. She left it by your bedside and stood by you.

"Hi [Name]. How are you feeling?"

"Fine. I mean a little tired I guess, but I'm ok other than that. What are you doing here?"

"I got here yesterday. I wanted to see you especially after I heard what happened." She shrugged, "Seems you saved the worlds again."

You weren't sure what to say. Kairi, in your mind, was a friend now, but you still drew a blank. She sat down in the seat Vanitas had just been in.