Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“What happened?” Mia asked again when I’d calmed down a little. 

“Kane,” I said, wiping my face with the backs of my hands.  My voice was shaking.  “He was t-trying to apologize but I w-wouldn’t l-listen.  H-he got made and called me a f-fucking s-slut.”

Mia’s mouth dropped open and so did the rest of the girls.  “I swear, that man!” she yelled.  “I’m going to beat his ass!”

She picked up the bottom of her dress and stormed out into the main area.  Everyone followed behind her to see what she was going to do.  I just stood behind the partition, watching through the slits in it. 

Mia stormed up to Kane, who was sitting back on the sofa with his head in his hands.  He stood up when she marched up to him.  And then she slapped him.  You could practically hear it echo through the room. 

“You total asshole!” she yelled. 

“Mia, listen.  I didn’t…” he started.

But she cut him off.  You never want to mess with a pregnant woman. 

“Shut up, Kane!” she yelled.  “How in the hell could you say that to Reece?  How could you call her that?”

“I…”

She poked a finger at his chest.  “I might not have known you for as long as she has.  But in the six years that I have, I never would have thought you would call a woman that,” she said, and poked him again.  “You never talk to her again.  And if you even try, you know that I’ll come find you and beat your ass.  I may be as big as a house when I do but rest assured that I can and will.”

The doors to the shop opened and Kole, Greer, and Kole’s friend and other groomsmen Aiden came in. 

“What’s going on?” Kole asked.

“Close your eyes this instant, Kole Macpherson, or I will not be marrying your ass in two weeks!” Mia yelled. 

Kole immediately slapped a hand over his eyes.  “Now, what’s going on?” he asked. 

“You tell your friend Kane here that if he wants to piss off a pregnant woman, he’d better watch his back,” she said.

Mia twirled around and started back toward where I was standing behind the partition, the girls following behind her. 

“Come on, Reece,” she said, grabbing my hand and pulling me back to the dressing rooms.  “Let’s you and I get out of these dresses and we’ll go out to lunch, just the two of us, okay?”

I nodded and looked down at her dress for the first time.  “I didn’t say before but your dress is beautiful,” I said.  Her white A-line dress was made of a silky fabric and had a thick band of beading under the bust.  It fit her small frame perfectly.  

She smiled.  Goodness, her mood swings were crazy!  “Thanks,” she said.  “Now, come on.”

After changing out of the dress, I put it back in the garment bag and put on my regular clothes, which was an off the shoulder blue top, dark jeans, and brown leather boots.  My hair, which had been in a side ponytail, was now hanging down my back in its usually blond curls.  I had to touch up my makeup from crying but when I was done I looked like I did when walked in.

Grabbing my coat, purse, and the garment bag, I headed out to give the dress back to Denise. 

“It’ll fit you perfectly when I’m finished with it,” she said, smiling.  “I think Mia’s going to come and get them next weekend and she’ll give it to you.”