Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The week went by without me even really noticing.  School was a drag like it usually was.  And truth be told, Kane’s classes weren’t that bad.  I may have hated him but he was a pretty good teacher and he made in fun for such a boring subject. 

I couldn’t help but notice the glances he snuck me in class, both in History and Gym.  He hadn’t pulled me aside to talk like I thought he would have tried.  I hadn’t even talked to him since dinner Monday night. 

On Saturday, Mia, her sister Karyn, her friend Ashley, and I went to get fitted for our bridesmaids’ dresses and her wedding dress since the wedding was officially two weeks away.  The guys were coming in after our appointment since the shop also had tuxes.  We had to make sure that we wouldn’t be here when they got here so Kole wouldn’t see Mia in her dress. 

My mom was still freaking out about not being able to pay for anything…but she’s helped that by buying everything for the baby.  I’m sure Kole and Mia’s house was already filled with baby things…and they don’t even know what they’re having yet!

“Okay, sorry if you don’t like the dresses but too bad because we can’t change them,” Mia said as the four of us walked into the shop for our fitting.  She stopped just as the door closed behind us.  “What are you doing here?”

“Are you guys supposed to be getting fitted first?” Kane asked, looking confused.  “I thought our fittings were at eleven.”

Mia sighed and shook her head.  “No, yours are at twelve,” she said.  “So much for the boys not being here.”

“Oh, come on, Mia.  You know I won’t tell Kole what your dress looks like.  Hell, I probably wouldn’t be able to describe it better than, ‘it’s white’,” he said with a wink.  Karyn and Ashley giggled.

Mia just smiled and rolled her eyes.  “Oh, alright,” she said.  “You’d better make yourself comfortable.”

“Will do,” he said with another wink and headed off toward the couch in front of the one-eighty mirrors where we would be standing to get fitted.

“Ugh, I have to spend enough time in his classes at school.  Why again are you torturing me with this?” I asked Mia as we went back to the dressing rooms to change into our bridesmaids’ dresses. 

She grimaced.  “Then maybe this wouldn’t be a good time to tell you that you’re paired up with him for the wedding?”

My eyes widened.  “What?  I can’t be!” I said. 

She sighed.  “I don’t get why you hate him so much,” she said.  “Is it just because it’s natural to hate your older brother’s best friend or is there some underlying meaning to it?”

One of the girls from the store handed me a white garment bag with my name on it. 

“Do you really want to know why I hate him?” I whispered.

She nodded and I pulled her into the dressing room with me. 

“Okay, tell me,” she said when I hung the garment bag on the hook and unzipped it. 

I didn’t say anything at first, just looked at the pale blue bridesmaids’ dress that I would be wearing.  It was made of a gauzy fabric and had an empire waist with a crystal belt under the bust. 

“You picked an amazing dress,” I said, pulling it out of the bag so I could get a better look at it.

“No changing the subject,” Mia said, pulling my hands away from the dress.