Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“Okay, guys, one lap around the gym and you’re good to go!” Kane yelled, blowing his whistle. 

We had a free day in Gym so I was playing basketball with Caroline, Emma, Mitch, and Zack.  Mitch had tried to sneak me a kiss when Kane wasn’t looking – since he was a teacher and all – but I just shoved him away. 

It had been two weeks since mine and Kane’s fight in the dress shop.  I hadn’t spoken to him at all, even when he came for dinner out our house four times in the last two weeks. 

I hadn’t even been out on a date with a guy.  Everyone seemed to be noticing also, including Caroline and Emma.  They thought I was sick or something. 

“So you want to go out tonight?” Caroline asked as we walked back to the locker room after we ran the lap. 

I shook my head.  “I can’t,” I said.  “Kole and Mia’s rehearsal dinner is tonight.”

Emma sighed, looking back at Kane, who was dribbling a ball on the court.  “I can’t believe you get to be in the wedding with that gorgeous hunk of man,” she said. 

“He’s not as great as you make him out to be,” I said.  “I would know.  I’ve known him practically all my life.”

“There seems to be something going on between the two of you,” Caroline said, looking over at me. 

I shook my head.  I’d never told them about what went on with me and Kane a few years ago.  “We just got in an argument,” I said. 

“Nothing hot makeup sex can’t take care of,” Caroline said matter-of-factly. 

“Caroline!  He’s a teacher!” I said.

“So what?” she said.  “Besides, he’s not really your teacher.” 

“Um, yeah, he is,” I said.

“Well, in the technical sense, yeah.  But you’ve known him and been friends with him for way longer.  That counts as way more,” she said.

“I’m not friends with him,” I said.  “I haven’t had a civil conversation with him in over four years and I really don’t care to anytime soon.”

Okay, that was a total lie.  Ever since he dropped me home after we’d eaten lunch with Kole and Mia, all I wanted was to go to him and talk to him…well, maybe a little more than that.  It took so much not to just talk to him after History class or after Gym.  I guess it was just because we were still in school and it would have been awkward. 

“Hey, Reece,” someone called when Caroline, Emma, and I were walking down the hallway from the locker rooms after we changed.  We all turned around to see Kane running toward us.

“What?” I asked, a little too harshly. 

“Uh, I just wanted to make sure that the rehearsal is at five at the hotel and then we were going for dinner after, right?” he asked. 

“Yeah,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest.  “You got it right.  And then tomorrow you have to be back at the hotel at nine and the ceremony starts at eleven.  I have to get there at six-thirty so we can start getting ready.”

He grinned, which made my stomach fill with butterflies.  I swear I heard Caroline and Emma sighed behind me.  “That’s a little early to get there, don’t you think?”

I flipped my blond curls over my shoulder.  “It takes time to make me look this good,” I said, and turned around before he could say something else.  I just wanted to get away from him.