Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Just shoot me now and let me die so I don’t have to be here.  This was going to be a long hour. 

“So,” Kane – Mr. Jackson – said.  “We’re not going to be doing anything really today except introducing ourselves.” 

He leaned against his desk and crossed his arms over his chest, making him look more model than teacher.  I swear all the girls sighed. 

“So I’m going to tell you about myself first and you can ask me any questions you want.  Then we’re going to go around the room and you’re going to come up to the front and say your name, age, whatever and one personal fact about yourself.  Does that sound good?”

Everyone nodded, seeming excited. 

“Alright,” he said.  “So, as you know, my name’s Kane Jackson.  I went to UCLA and graduated with a degree in history education so I could become your awesome teacher.  I played basketball on scholarship and was going to go pro but I got injured the last game of the season.”  He grinned, looking at some of the guys that played on the basketball team.  “And if you play basketball here, you’re looking at your new coach.  You can call me Mr. Jackson, Mr. J, or Coach if you want.  Oh, and I’m going to be the seniors’ Gym coach last class also since Coach McAlister is only staying half the day now.”

I internally groaned.  I had Gym last class!  Could my day get any worse?  But then again, I wore tight t-shirts and short shorts in Gym, so this could work to my advantage. 

“Alright, any questions for me?” he asked.

“How old are you?” a girl in the front row asked immediately.

Not interesting.  I already knew how old he was and when his birthday was.  July eighth.   

“I’ll be twenty-three in July so I’m twenty-two right now,” he said. 

“Do you have a girlfriend?” another girl asked. 

Now this was something that I was interested in. 

“No, I don’t,” he said.  “I’ve really only had one serious girlfriend.”

I wondered when that happened.  In the years that I’d known him before he went away to college, he never had a serious girlfriend.  Was it some girl that he went to school with?

“Do you still love her?  Actually, did you really love her at all?” another asked. 

“You guys are really getting personal, aren’t you?” he asked, grinning his sexy grin.  The girls all just nodded.  “Yeah, I still love her.  I’ve always loved her.”

They all sighed and smiled at him like what he just said was the cutest thing ever.  All I wanted to do was rip this girl’s head off. 

There were a few more questions and I just zoned out for them. 

“Alright, now, let’s start on the first row and we’ll work our way around,” Kane said.

I zoned out and put my chin in my hand as the first two rows and the people in front of me stood up to go to the front of the class.  When it was my turn, I stood and walked toward where Kane was still leaning against his desk.  He wasn’t looking at me, though, but down at a piece of paper. 

Once I got up there, he held up a hand without looking at me.  “Hold on one second.  What was your last name?” he asked, looking at the girl who sat in front of me. 

“Stevenson.  Amanda Stevenson,” she said, smiling at him. 

“Okay, gotcha,” he said, marking her name on his list.  “You can go ahead…”