Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I didn’t see Kole and Mia off after the reception ended a few hours later.  I knew I wouldn’t be seeing them for a week and a half since they were going on their honeymoon but I just couldn’t find it in myself to see Kane and Karyn together, all happy and shit.  Screw them, screw their wedding whenever they decide to have it, and screw their lives together. 

I, on the other hand, was sitting against the wall the small tube of bubbles that everyone else was going to send off into the air as they walked to their car.  Yeah, after seeing Kane and Karyn kissing across from the bathroom I might have had a few more drinks.  I wasn’t drunk, though.  Nope, I sure wasn’t.

Okay, well, maybe a little. 

I blew some bubbles and watched them float up before they popped.  When I did, the room started to spin even though I was sitting down.

Okay, maybe I had way more drinks than I thought.

“I thought you were supposed to hook up with guys at weddings, you know?” someone said, sitting down beside me.  I didn’t bother looking at who it was.  Because I knew if I turned my head, I might just puke on them, which would so not be polite.  Well, I probably wouldn’t puke.   I knew how to hold my liquor.  I would probably just fall onto them since everything just wouldn’t seem to stop spinning. 

“I still love a man but he apparently doesn’t love me,” I said.  “He got some action.”

“That sucks,” the person said.  By the voice I knew it was a girl. 

“Yep, sure does,” I said, nodding.  “I don’t suggest drinking all your sorrows away either.  It just makes you think about it more.”

“I’ve already done some drunken things tonight that didn’t get me anywhere.”

I looked over at her but I couldn’t really see her face to recognize her.  My eyes were too blurry. 

“What happened to you?” I asked.

“Well, I thought the guy that I’d been talking to all night liked me so I made a move.  You know, you would think if you did he would go along.  But no, he still loves an old girlfriend and is trying to win her back,” she said.  “Ugh, why can’t I catch a break?”

“It seems neither of us can catch a break,” I said, leaning my head back and reaching for the only full glass of champagne beside me.  There were six other empty ones. 

“Well, I guess I’d better go,” she said, standing up.  “I’ll see you maybe when Mia and Kole get back.  I think your parents are planning a family dinner or something.”

“Yeah, sure,” I said, reaching down to take off my heels. 

I wasn’t really able to tell who I had been talking with until she walked to the door of the ballroom.  That was when I realized it was Karyn.  Oh, my God.  I should have just turned my head and puked all over her. 

Speaking of just that, I felt like I was going to be sick. 

I stood up slowly, leaning on the wall for support so I could get up, and started walking with my heels in one hand and glass of champagne in the other.  I would have gotten to Karyn and given her a piece of my mind but I just couldn’t manage to walk as fast as she did.  And she had been walking fast, dammit. 

When I finally stumbled out the door and into the hallway, it seemed like half of the people who were at the wedding were standing around talking.  They watched me as I stumbled past them and toward my parents…who were talking to Kane.