Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I got the call at almost five in the morning on June twenty-seventh. 

Kane and I were still asleep in bed when my phone started ringing from the bedside table.  It took a moment for me to wake up and realize it was ringing.

I groaned and rolled away from Kane, reaching for it.

“Hello?” I answered.  My voice cracked.

“Hey, Reece!” Kole said, sounding excited. 

“I swear, Kole,” I said, rubbing my hand over my face.  “You do realize it’s not even five in the morning, right?”

“Yeah, but I just thought that you’d want to know that your baby niece is on her way now,” he said.  I could hear Mia laugh but then it turned into a groan. 

I was awake now.  I flipped the covers off of me and jumped out of bed.  “What?!” I shrieked.  “She is?”

Kole laughed again as I watched Kane sit up slowly, running a hand through his hair. 

“What’s going on?” he asked, his voice husky from sleep. 

“Mia’s having the baby!” I said, running for the closet.  I held the phone against my ear with my shoulder and spoke to Kole again.  “How far along is she?”

“They said four centimeters.  She’s waiting for an epidural now,” he said.  “Mia’s parents and Mom and Dad are on their way now.  You’re person I called after them.”

“Well, duh,” I said, laughing as I pulled on some jean shorts and a t-shirt.  “We’ll be there in a little while.”

“Okay, see you then,” he said.

I hung up just as I walked out of the closet.  Kane was just walking into the bathroom in his boxers so I followed him in. 

“Why did she decide to go into labor at five in the morning?” Kane asked, grabbing his toothbrush. 

I laughed.  “It’s not like she had a choice in the matter,” I said, grabbing mine.

Living with Kane was everything I thought it would be: easy, fun, and absolutely amazing. 

Just like he thought, my parents really didn’t mind that I was moving in with him.  Yeah, they were reluctant in letting me go but they knew they had to sometime.  Dad actually joked that Greer should be looking to move out since his younger sister already was.

So two weeks after graduation, Kane and I were moving in all of my stuff to our house. 

“Hurry up, slow poke!” I yelled upstairs as I quickly grabbed my bagel from the toaster.

“Someone’s impatient,” Kane said, walking down the stairs as he pulled his t-shirt over his head.  “It’s not like the baby’s coming out now.”

“You never know!” I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him to the garage.

“I don’t get anything to eat?”

“Nope, you get hospital food because you take longer to get dressed than I do,” I said, laughing, as I got in the passenger seat of his Lexus. 

He sighed as he got in and buckled, turning on the engine at the same time.  “Well, it take me a while to look this good while you look beautiful in anything,” he said, smiling over at me.

I laughed and lifted the other half of my bagel up to this mouth.  “Here, suck up,” I said. 

Kane leaned forward to take it in his mouth as he put his car into reverse.  “Thanks,” he said when we were on the road.  “I was hoping you’d do that.”