Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I was released from the hospital a week and a half later.  It was still hard for me to move around but I was getting better every day.

Kane was able to take his sling off after a week.  Apparently he was a ‘fast healer’.  At least that’s what the doctor said. 

He stayed with me the entire time I was in the hospital.  Even though the nurses told him he couldn’t, he still slept with me on the bed with his arm securely wrapped around me.  They’d find us like that every morning and just shake their heads.  I think they secretly thought it was adorable since I’d always see smiles on their faces when they left. 

The day that I left the hospital, Kane drove me home.  My parents let him drive me, even though they wanted to. 

“It’s going to be weird without you with me all the time,” I admitted as I played with his fingers as he held my hand. 

“We’ll figure something out,” he said. 

“So who’s replacing you at school?” I asked.

“They’ve got a substitute until they can find someone more permanent.”

The principle had been in on who Kane and Pax really were.  Now that the story had broke and turned into national news, reporters and film crews apparently staked out the school, just waiting for me or Kane to come back.  They had to get the police brought in to make them leave after a few days.

Apparently all of the students had gotten a big surprise at prom when Kane, Pax, and Jeremy came in with their uniforms on.  The truth had spread that night and all the next day and was all anyone could talk about the Monday afterward. 

Kane had only gone back to school one morning to get his things and say goodbye to everyone.  Pax had gone with him.  The truth about her – that she was twenty-five, married, and had a kid – didn’t stop the guys from hitting on her.  Now she just called them cute little boys. 

Surprisingly, nothing had changed between the two of us.  I was thinking that it might since she was seven years older than me but she still acted the same.  I even got to officially meet Dylan, who was one of the cutest little boys I’d even seen.  Since Pax and Jeremy had officially moved here, he was going to the same preschool as Jake and they were the best of friends now. 

Kane was officially moving back also.  And since he had cracked this case, he told me he was going to be the head of the FBI branch that was going to be in the city so he was going to stay.  He was going to be the youngest head of an FBI branch in history apparently.  I have to admit that I cried when he told me because I thought he was going to have to go back to LA and I didn’t want to lose him again.  But I didn’t.

I sighed.  “So what are my parents planning for tonight?” I asked.  “I know there’s got to be something going on.”

Kane laughed and lifted my hand up to kiss my palm.  “Your mom’s just cooking a big dinner,” he said.  “Everyone’s coming over.”

Everyone everyone?” I asked, grimacing. 

“Everyone,” he confirmed.  “Just think of it as an unofficial holiday.”

“Oh, God!” I said, leaning my head back against the headrest.

He just laughed again and squeezed my hand. 

Kane had been right.  It basically was an unofficial holiday since there were about six cars in our driveway.  Everyone’s cars were there. 

“Ugh, really?” I said, groaning.