Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“Thanks for inviting me over for dinner,” Pax said, lounging on my bed as she flipped through a magazine.  It had been a week since she’d come and this was the first time she’d come over to my house.

“No problem,” I said as I closed my Calculus book.  “We usually have family dinner on Monday night and Kole and Mia come.  And since Kane’s been back in town, he’s come over also, plus other days for dinner.  We’ve done it ever since Kole moved out.”

Pax nodded as I spun around in my desk chair once and stood up to sit beside her on my bed.  Was it weird that I felt like I could talk normally to her and not the way I can with Caroline and Emma?  Besides Greer, she was the only one who knew about me and Kane.  She and I were practically joined at the hip now.

“So,” she said suddenly, flipping her magazine closed and looking over at me.  “You’ve never told me how did you and Kane get together this time?”

I sighed and flipped over on my back to look up at my ceiling.  “After Kole and Mia’s wedding.  I might have gotten a little drunk after seeing Kane being attacked by another woman.  But I didn’t find that out until later.  We both stayed at the hotel that night and he stayed with me.  We got back together the next day.”

She laughed.  “Very cute get-together,” she said.  “Well, except for you seeing him being attacked by another woman…and you getting drunk.”

I snorted and rolled my eyes.  “Yeah, but everything’s good now.”

“So you said that Kole and Mia were finding out the sex of the baby?” she asked. 

I nodded.  “Yeah, I can’t wait to see if I’m going to have a niece or nephew,” I said.  “I’m really hoping it’s a girl.  We’re outnumbered right now.”

Pax laughed.  “Well, count me on the girls’ team,” she said. 

Kole and Mia had gone for their eighteen week ultrasound earlier.  They didn’t know if they would be able to tell what the baby was but they called just about an hour ago and said that they did and that they were going to tell us at dinner. 

A little while later, Pax and I headed downstairs and toward the kitchen where we could hear my parents talking.  Jake was apparently in there also because I could hear him giggling. 

“Don’t pour it too quickly, Jakey, or you’ll burn yourself when the hot water splashes on you,” I heard Mom say as we walked in. 

Jake had a bag of frozen peas in his hands as he sat on the counter next to the stove with Dad in front of him, making sure he wasn’t getting too close, while Mom grabbed the big pot so she could drain the water from the pasta. 

“Hey, you two,” she said, going over to the sink.  “Dinner’s almost ready and everyone should be here in a few minutes.”

Just then, the doorbell rang.

“That’s probably Kane,” I said, turning to go out of the kitchen.  “He’s the only one who rings the doorbell.”

When I opened the front door, sure enough, Kane was standing there.  When he saw me, a smile lit up his face like it always did. 

“Hey,” he said, stepping inside and wrapping an arm around my waist, pulling me toward him.

“Hey, yourself,” I said, leaning my face up so my lips could meet his.  We didn’t stay that way for long just in case someone saw us. 

“I say again, I don’t like this sneaking around,” he said, leaning his forehead against mine. 

“Only a few more months,” I said, smiling.  “Patience, young one.”