Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I was sitting at the breakfast table two weekends later, eating my eggs and toast and coloring a picture with Jake as he ignored his cereal.  Mom was sitting on the other side of the table grading the tests that we had to take in her class the day before.

“Have you gotten to mine yet?” I asked for the hundredth time.

“No, Reece, I haven’t,” she said, smiling, as she wrote down a grade on someone’s paper.  “I’ll let you know when I do.”

“So do we get to see Kole and Mia today?” Jake asked me and Mom.

“I think so, sweetie,” she said, looking up and smiling. 

Kole and Mia didn’t get home until the day before.  Even though they were just supposed be gone a week and a half, they decided to stay a few extra days just because they wanted to.  If I was on my honeymoon, I’d want to stay by myself with my husband a few extra days, too.

A few hours later, Mom, Jake, and I went to the mall where we were going to meet up with Kole and Mia.  Mom and Mia wanted to start looking for baby furniture and deciding on what the baby’s room should be themed as. 

Kole and Mia were standing at the entrance of the mall when we got there.  Even from far away I could tell Mia’s stomach had grown bigger over the last two weeks.  When they saw us coming, they both smile as Jake started running for them. 

“Hey, bud,” Kole said as he picked Jake up. 

“Hi, Kole!  I missed you!” Jake said, wrapping his arms around his neck. 

“I missed you, too,” he said, laughing, as he put him down on the ground. 

Jake then went to hug Mia around her waist, putting his ear against her stomach.  “Hi, Mia!  Hi, baby!”

“Hey, sweetie,” Mia said, putting a hand on the top of his head.

“Hey, Jake,” Kole said, kneeling down to his level.  “Do you want to go with them to look around at boring stuff or do you want to come with me and we’ll do something fun?”

Jake’s eyes got wide as he let go of Mia and ran to grab onto Kole’s hand, dragging him to the doors. 

“So you don’t even say hello to your own mother and sister,” I said loudly to Kole as Jake continued toward the door with him in tow. 

“Hey!” Kole said, smiling and waving with his other hand.  “Call us when you’re ready to leave and we’ll meet you!”

I rolled my eyes while Mom and Mia were laughing and shaking their heads. 

“Well,” I said, looking back at Mia.  “You’re looking bigger!”

“Thanks,” she said, rolling her eyes again, as she rubbed her stomach and we walked inside.  “It feels like I’ve grown so much in the past two weeks.  That might be from all the food we’ve been eating also.”

Mom laughed.  “I thought Kole looked a little bigger,” she said. 

Mia laughed also.  “I think he’s going to gain more weight than I am in this pregnancy.”

We walked to the escalators and went to the second floor to one of the baby stores.  I knew that they were going to take a while to look around so I decided to go check out some other places.

“Please don’t spend a lot,” Mom said, handing me her credit card. 

“Thanks,” I said, kissing her cheek.  “But I probably won’t get anything.  I still haven’t run out of new clothes that you got me for Christmas.”