Chapter 7

Chapter 7

After the ceremony, the entire wedding party had to get their pictures done.  Kole and Mia had some pictures by themselves, then some of Mia and us bridesmaids and Kole and his groomsmen, and finally we were paired up – bridesmaid with groomsmen – to take a few couples photos.

Three guesses to who I was paired up with. 

You only need one, though.

When the photographer positioned us the way she wanted, I had an arm around Kane’s waist and one of his around mine.  I had to take a few breaths to keep my heart from racing too fast.

Once the photographer got the last of mine and Kane’s pictures, I tried to move away from him but he held me, not letting me go.  I slowly looked up at him and saw he was looking at me the same way he had been during the ceremony.

But then the flash of the camera broke our stare. 

“Sorry,” the photographer said.  “But that was just too good of a picture to pass up.  I mean, the way you were looking at each other…it was amazing.  I’ll be sure to put in an extra two when I send the pictures to Kole and Mia so you can have them.”

Kane finally let me go and undid his tie and the top three buttons on his shirt.  He really didn’t need to do that with me standing right there.

Thank God I walked away when I did or I think I would have jumped him. 

I really didn’t want to love this man anymore. 

I really, really, really didn’t.

All of us bridesmaids and groomsmen were ushered into the reception area, which was just the ballroom where the wedding had taken place.  During the time we took for the pictures, all of the guests went to cocktail hour while the wedding planner and her staff quickly set up the reception area. 

Instead of the chairs everywhere, there were now tables with them pushed under.  There were centerpieces that were white tree limbs draped with the same blue ribbons and strings of crystals like the ones that hung from the ceiling.  Every glass and dish was in place and waiters were waiting in the wings to give guests drinks once they sat down.

And it looked absolutely beautiful. 

Once everyone was in their seats – we were at the head table where Kole and Mia would be sitting – everyone waited for them to come in.  And once they did, everyone started clapping as they walked to the dance floor hand in hand.  When they got there, their song – ‘On A Night Like This’ by Dave Barnes – came on, they had their first dance.  Everyone was snapping photos and I couldn’t help but smile as I watched Kole and Mia whisper with each other and laugh. 

For some reason, my eyes wondered over to Kane.  They seemed to be doing that a lot tonight.  But he was talking and laughing with Karyn.  The overwhelming feeling to pull her up by her hair from her chair got me again. 

Really, why did I have to love this stupid man who made me crazy?

I grabbed a glass of champagne as a waiter walked by and quickly drank the entire glass.  I set it on another waiter’s tray and grabbed another.  I didn’t chug this one like I did the other, though.  Well, maybe I did half of it.

Dinner was really amazing and after it was time for Mia and her dad’s father daughter dance.  After a minute of watching them, Uncle Mason pulled Haylie onto the dance floor and a few others started dancing also. 

I spotted my dad looking at me.  He pointed his finger at me and motioned for me to come meet him.  I laughed and stood up to go to him.  We met in the middle of the dance floor and he wrapped an arm around my waist, taking my hand in his other.