Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The next morning at school, I got there just as Kane and Pax did.  Apparently Pax’s car was at the mechanic’s so she didn’t drive.  I smiled at Kane as he passed me and Pax stopped beside me. 

“It’s got to be tough,” she said, shaking her head.

“It’s not that bad,” I said. 

She laughed as we headed inside right behind Kane.  So maybe I was sneaking a few peeks of his ass in his gray slacks but it wasn’t so obvious that people knew I was.

“Reece, get your ass over here quick!” I heard Caroline yell from the direction of our lockers. 

“Language, Miss Pike,” Kane said, walking by her.

She bit her lip.  “Sorry, Mr. J,” Caroline said, smiling slightly.

“What’s up?” I asked as I dialed the combination to my locker.

“Do you know what they just sprung up on us this morning?!” she yelled. 

“Um, no, seeing as I just got here a few minutes ago,” I said, opening it and grabbing my history book. 

Caroline looked like she was about to burst…and then she did.

“Prom is in three weeks!” she screamed.  “We’re going to have to go dress shopping today just so we can get good ones!”

“Three weeks?” Pax asked.  “March is a little early to be having prom, right?  I though they didn’t usually have them until May.”

“Well, I think they want to be able to put the pictures in the yearbook so that’s why they’re having it early,” Emma said. 

Great.  Now I was going to have to find a dress quick.  At least I didn’t have to find a date.

“So who are you guys going with?” Pax asked.

I laughed.  “We don’t go with dates,” I said. 

“Yeah, we always get asked about ten times each but we just turn them down.  We go together because all the guys seem to want to dance with us and not their dates,” Caroline explained.  “It’s just easier for us.”

“Makes sense,” Pax said, nodding.

Caroline slammed her locker closed and turned toward us.  “We’re going dress shopping right after school,” she said.

So that’s how I found myself at the mall right after school, looking for dresses.  Caroline and Emma both already had at least seven dresses to try on and Pax had three.  I, on the other hand, didn’t have one.  I just couldn’t seem to find one that I really liked. 

“Can’t you find anything?” Caroline asked me as I browsed through the last rack of dresses that we’d looked at in the store. 

“I just don’t like anything,” I said. 

“But we’ve already been to every other store that sells dresses and you didn’t find anything there either,” she said. 

I rolled my eyes.  “I’ll find something,” I said. 

“Well, we’re going to start trying things on,” Emma said, grabbing her stack of dresses.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” I said.

When the three of them we heading, I continued to search through the dresses but couldn’t find a single thing that I actually liked.

A second later, I felt an arm wrap around my waist and at first I thought I was Kane since he always did that to me.  But when I leaned back against him, I knew it wasn’t.  I quickly turned around and saw Mitch standing there, smiling down at me.