Chapter 24: Past Mistakes

Past Mistakes

Eyelids parted slowly, revealing the darkness of the room, dimly lit by the moon.

"Capriano!" He heard his brother's voice.

He bolted up, stretching his arms.

"I can't believe you fell asleep!" He heard Cameron's voice say.

"What's wrong?" He said on instinct.

"It's the ball tonight. You know, father's inauguration as mayor.

"Oh... that's tonight?"

"Of course it is!"

Capriano grunted and stalked to the oak wood wardrobe in the far left of the crimson colored room.

"Brother, you know how I resent these type of things."

"I know. But it's for our father. And you know as well as I how irritated he gets when we arrive late."

"But why does it have to always be balls. Can't he have some private ceremony?" Capriano asked as he put his arms through the sleeves of his black blazer.

He absolutely hated monkey suits. In fact, he absolutely despised anything formal. People always expected so much of him and his family that almost every month was a different ball or different charity event. Personally, Capriano thought that these type of things were just an excuse for rich snobs to get drunk.

"Now where will the fun be in that, dear brother?" Cameron asked, a large cocky smile displayed on his face.

"Not all of us can be notorious ladies men like you, brother." Capriano answered, buttoning the blazer.

Cameron Delguard was notorious for his promiscuous ways. Every night, every ball Cameron would have a different lady. No woman on the face of the planet that Cameron had pursued had Cameron not gotten.

But where Cameron was confident and outgoing, Capriano was smart and shy. Where Cameron had fun leaving a trail of broken hearts, Capriano could never find it in him to hurt a soul. Where Cameron was impulsive and rebellious, Capriano was cautious and well-behaved.

"But we can all try."

Capriano humphed.

"What? What if you happen to meet Mrs. Right at the ball?"

"I sincerely hope that doesn't happen."

"Love is a beautiful thing, my brother."

"Sure. Don't you mean sex is a beautiful thing?"

"That's just a perk." Cameron gave another cocky smile. Capriano rolled his eyes.

"When have you ever been in love?"

"Why, I've been in love too many times to count."

"Lust and love, though both begin with an L and both are four letters, are not the same thing."

"I suppose, but lust is more fun."

Capriano rolled his eyes again.

"Let's just go and get this over with, okay?"

"Always the spoil-sport, brother."

Thirty minutes later Capriano entered the large, obnoxious looking Town Hall. Inside didn't look very promising. More grey marble floors and overly exaggerated grey columns. In the far front of the hall was a large maple wood stage with a podium situated in the bottom left corner. 'Congratulations, Mayor Delguard!' was displayed obnoxiously on one of the walls. Capriano sighed with irritation. He never did enjoy these superficial displays of congratulants.