Chapter 13: Anniversary Blues

Anniversary Blues

Somewhere during Bonnie and Clyde I’d fallen asleep in Cap’s safe and secure arms and woke up tucked perfectly in my bed, just the way I liked it.

“Cap?” was the first words to exit my mouth, but the call was left unanswered.

I tugged at the deep purple Egyptian cotton sheets feeling just like the color – sexually frustrated. Cap was gone, which was the logical thing to do. But still, I longed for his presence, yearned for his Tom Ford cologne, ached to hear the soft husky velvet of his voice, craved for the god-like features of his face.

I reluctantly got up from bed and threw on the loose-fitting grey jersey that hung over the chair in front of my desk.

As I walked down the empty halls of the house, a rustle in the trees made me jump. I felt unsafe still being alone at home – mom and dad were on a vacation out at The Hamptons and I point-blank refused to be a part of their pathetic attempt to ‘keep the romance going’, it also helped that I had school going for me, knew how to cook and was perfectly able to take care of myself. Running my hand through my hair, I took my phone out of the pockets of my baby pink shorts and dialed Bonnie.

“Babe?” Bonnie said in a sleepy voice. Bonnie was infamous for waking up in the early hours of the afternoon.

“Bon, you okay?” I asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be? Well, besides the fact that you woke me up from my The Bachelorette Celebrity Addition dream. I was just about to pick Johnny Depp over Robert Pattinson and Tyson Beckford before you rudely interrupted.”

“You’re having your one of your sequence dreams already?” Bonnie was also infamous for having the most killer sequence, night-by-night dreams when she was sexually frustrated. Once, she dreamt about an entire season fan-fiction Gossip Girl. Well, at least I wasn’t the only one feeling purple.

“Look, we all can’t have to gorgeous guys vying for our affection,”

“Cap and Damian aren’t ‘vying for my affection’,”

“So says the girl caught in the middle,”

“Bon, I think I'm being stalked by the guy we bumped a few nights ago,” I blurted. Well, there wasn’t much else I could do to change the topic.

We?” Bonnie asked flabbergasted. “Chlo, you bumped him.”

“Well, you were in the car, so that counts for something.” It did, right? I didn’t want to involve Bonnie but, I also didn’t want to be the only one the guy was after.

“No it doesn’t. Just because J-Lo was with Diddy when triggers were pulled, doesn’t mean she was responsible.”

“Oh my word, that isn’t the same thing. Look, something happened last night.”

And so I told her what happened last night, not even leaving out the fact that I’d spent the night with Cap. I felt that I wouldn’t be able to cover up how I got out of not being murdered last night without mentioning Cap. And no decent man leaves a damsel in distress.

“Chlo, if what you're saying is true then there’s no way I'm leaving you in that house alone. What happens the next time the guy shows up and you call on Cap to save you and not Damian, huh?” come to think of it, Damian hadn’t been anywhere near my thoughts last night when I saw the guy. “And on the night before your anniversary.”

“My anniversary?”

“Yes your anniversary! It’s been four damn years, Chlo! And to make matters worse, you’d remembered you anniversary every year. But now that Capriano arrives, you don’t even know what anniversary I'm talking about. I swear Chlo, if you forget our anniversary –”