Chapter 1: The Boy in Black Attire

The Boy in Black Attire

April 18th 2011

I dusted the dirt off of my black patent leather Christian Louboutin Very Prive peep-toe pumps, before looking at my reflection one more time in the full-length mirror in my royal  blue and gold room. Sure my Louboutin’s weren’t exactly ‘school attire’ per se, but there was no way Chloe Van Cleef, heir to the Van Cleef dynasty, was going to wear those rancid Mary Janes that came with my white blouse, red pullover and blue checked skirt!

I batted my perfect clover eyes and gave my luscious, dark auburn locks one last toss before I exited my room to attend South Jefferson Prep – Marketa’s most elite Private school.

When I exited the château along Marketa’s southern coast, I was immediately greeted by my boyfriend Damian Wolford before we entered the vintage white Rolls and drove off.

Damian looked dashing as always in his proper school attire, his tousled golden-brown locks falling carelessly across his handsome face. His mouth curved seductively when he caught me looking at him. Shyly I let out my own seductive smile as his hands caressed my exposed thigh, sending light tremors through my body.

It was a new school week and I still felt like it was my first day of school, even though it was already into April. Sigh, the pressures of always having to look perfect.

So far I had acquired the perfect style, the perfect friends, the perfect home, the perfect looking seldom-there family and the perfect boyfriend, but somehow I still felt empty. As if my whole life I’d been waiting for something imperfect, but that something had never been given to me. For some reason I thought the thing I was praying silently for would arrive today, forever changing my ‘perfect’ life.

I knew I should feel lucky for the magnificent life I’d been given – and I did, I just felt like I’d been given the wrong kinda luck. To an outsider I might seem happy, and in a way I was, but only my cat and maybe a selected few people knew how I truly felt inside. I wouldn’t dare let anyone outside my inner, inner circle dare think I was unhappy, even though I was.

As the vintage Rolls arrived at the face-bricked school, I got out the car hand-in-hand with Damian and was immediately greeted by a flurry of warm smiles or awkward shame as I caught them staring lustrously or enviously at me. Yip, it was always this kind of attention that made my stomach flop a thousand times, or caused me to feel incredibly self-conscious. But because of the good actress I was, I had never let anyone know just how uncomfortable I felt with their unending gazes.

 The familiar sound of my heels clicking against the mahogany wood floors of South Jeff’s hallway made the viscous pounding of my heart soften until I could focus on what Damian was going on about.

“So, what you think?” he asked, his mesmerizing warm brown eyes made contact with my clover eyes.

“Huh?” I asked, confused at what Damian was asking.

“What do think about my plan for us to bunk calculus third period?”

“Uh…”

Saved by Bonnie’s excited whimpering, I greeted my bestie. Her thick, black hair smelled of honeysuckle which flooded my senses as I gave my friend an enthusiastic hug.

“Bonnie!” I greeted, holding my friend’s small hands in my own.

“Oh Chloe, how I missed you!”

I waved goodbye to Damian as my friend led me to my first period, English. The anxiety I felt earlier had somehow disappeared, probably because of my friend’s endlessly positive attitude.

Sitting squarely in the middle of the class, I got ready for another one of Mr. Sevigné’s speeches about whatever. As he entered the class in his dull beige and yellow getup, he babbled on his disappointment in the class’s latest test.

Slowly, I sank into my chair as he dropped the paper onto my desk, my heart picking up its pace. Hesitant to look at the test I must’ve failed, I was mildly surprised, but undeniably relieved when I saw that I just gotten over sixty-percent. Mr. Sevigné gave me a warm smile as he passed me, I returned the smile.

Somewhere during the period a knock appeared on the mahogany door.

“Come in!” Mr. Sevigné called out.

 Slowly the knob turned and for some reason the pace of my breathing decreased dramatically. A head popped through the opening as the door opened. The person standing awkwardly at the door must have been the most beautiful thing I’d ever laid my 16-year-old eyes onto.

He had eyes the color of pure black diamonds, skin a shade paler than my own and a fairly straight nose. His face left me in awe, his unconventional beauty captivating every eye in the room – something the boy didn’t seem to like. Dark, black hair that framed his face billowed lightly in the low breeze, making my heart thud ever so slightly.

“Uhm, hi, I'm the Washington transfer,” he said in a nervous tone, his rosy lips curving seductively with each word.

“Oh, Mr. Delguard, pleasure to see you’ve finally made it.” Mr. Sevigné said, his harsh tone making a shocked anger arise in me. “I’ll see to it that you’ll have the proper school attire.” Mr. Sevigné continued after he noticed the boy’s casual clothing.

The boy’s head ducked as he saw the stares, including mine, directed at him. For a brief moment his dark eyes met with my light eyes and for a brief moment I swore I could feel my world stopping. But before I could register why, his gaze directed back to the cold floor and he took a seat right at the back of the class, where neither of us could to see each other.

All through English my attention had drifted far away from Mr. Sevigné, and back to the boy that captivated me and scared me with one glance. I couldn’t tear my mind away from the death defying beauty of his statuesque face, I couldn’t tear my mind away from his faded black Guess jeans coupled with a black version of D/M’s ‘Beauty is Boring’ tee and worn black boots. Every few minutes I’d try - to no avail - to try and see his face again, but each time my view was blocked by a large girl’s body.

I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why the boy had captured my being so much without doing so much as bat his eyes, or why something about the dark energy that surrounded him just pulled me in more. I could see I was not the only person interested in Mr. Delguard’s stellar beauty but I knew no one else saw him like I did, nor did they want him as much.

What I did know was that I had to know the boy in black attire. What I didn’t know was how much it’d cost me or how much he’d change my life – forever.