Chapter 4: Stuck With the - Captivating - New Boy

Stuck With the – Captivating – New Boy

Cap still lingered on both of our minds as Bonnie and I drove home. So far she couldn’t remember much because she blacked-out half way through the horrific event but agreed with me that the rail did open. How it got fixed and how Cap had managed to keep it intact was the real question.

“Maybe we’re imagining things?” I said, questioning not only mine, but Bonnie’s sanity too. Come to think of it, maybe Cap hadn’t been there at all? How else would he have disappeared so quickly? I didn’t even feel him move.

“We can’t just be imagining things. I mean, two people making one thing up is just too outlandish, even for me.” Bonnie said, staring blankly at the road.

Bonnie had a reputation for over-overreacting, but even she didn’t have that vivid of an imagination. She had fainted, yes, but if I wasn’t so close to Cap I would’ve done the same thing. The whole situation was sketchy to say the least, but what reason did I have to lie – and to myself?

I pulled up to the driveway of Bonnie’s seaside mansion about two miles away from my own and helped her get out. When I was sure she was okay, I gave her one quick hug and got back into the car.

Bonnie waved goodbye as I drove off and went into her house. It was raining now, but luckily not overly heavy rain like Marketa was famous for. As I turned off the bend of the road, a figure appeared out of nowhere and my car swerved lightly to the right, skidding haphazardly. Luckily, the car didn’t drive into any solid objects. But even though I was relieved to not have died, I was surprised that as I swerved the figure vanished, and into thin air!

The car stopped in the middle of the two-way road and I began to pant. I looked into the rearview mirror, gripping the steering wheel tightly, and gulped when I saw the figure reappear and begin walking towards me. I immediately I restarted the car and drove off, not even looking back to see if the figure was still there.

When I reached my house, I took of my pumps, got out of the car and ran panting in the house. As usual my mother was lying on her four-poster bed heavily sedated, probably just getting out of her newest ‘I-know-you’re-cheating-on-me’ fight with my father. I locked the front door and made sure every window and exit was closed before I ran into my room and leaned against the now closed door panting heavily.

I gulped, and wiped the slick wet hair out of my face before dialing Bonnie. She picked up on the first ring.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“You okay?” I asked, breathing heavily.

“Yeah, why?” she asked, curiosity lacing her words.

I began telling her about the man – leaving out the part of his vanishing because I didn’t want to sound any more ludicrous than I already did. “Are all the door and windows locked?” I asked, not risking my friend’s safety.

“Yip, it’s weird that some guy came after you though. I mean, right after what happened with Cap.”

“It wasn’t Cap!” I insisted, shocked by the sharpness of my own voice. Why was I standing up for him, anyway?

“Cool, Chlo. I was just saying… but I think you shouldn’t fret about it. I'm sure the man meant no harm. And besides, I doubt he knows where you stay.” She said, strategically disguising her Cap-judgments.

“Yeah, you're right. Just another coincidence,” I heard my voice say in a calm you’re-right tone, even though paranoia surged through me like adrenaline.

The next day went on eventless as Bonnie and I decided it would be safer if we stayed indoors finishing our Hamlet reading comprehension. I tried hard not to let thoughts of Cap and guilty thoughts of Damian invade my mind, but to no avail. Every minute my mind was caught off guard they bombarded my conscience. Mostly when my thoughts eventually trailed to Cap it was either a ‘what’s he hiding?’ thought or lustful thoughts I didn’t wanna go through. Occasionally last night’s events ran through my brain as I tried to make sense of it all – but no matter how much I tried, I always got the same you must be insane answer. It just wasn’t possible for one man to do that, but then why was I alive? It just wasn’t possible for people to disappear and reappear in front of your eyes, then why had the man done it?