Chapter 2: Awkward Chemistry

Awkward Chemistry

Thirty minutes later the bell rang, sending the class into a frenzy. Though there were only thirty minutes left in the period since the boy arrived, it felt like an eternity.

I got up from my seat, and picked up my text books from my table and put them into my damier canvas Louis Vuitton bag and made a pitiful attempt to try and catch up with the new boy. But by the time I managed to exit the class, he was already gone. Just my luck.

What was it about him that allured me so much, anyway? Why did I have such a strong impulse to be with him? Why was I willing to be with another guy while –

Immediately my attention was captured by Bonnie's yapping. “So, what do you think about the new kid, Chlo?” she asked swooning dramatically. Inside, my heart skipped a thousand beats as soon as my mind drifted to the new boy, Mr. Delguard.

“He’s cute,” I heard myself say, “but –”

“Oh, you totally like him!” Bonnie interrupted as I felt a damning heat arising in my cheeks, undoubtedly making me look like a tomato against my soft, fair skin.

“I do not!” I insisted, not even believing it from my own mouth.

“Now Chlo, you know better than I do that that aint gonna work on me,” she said, her caramel skin glistening in the sun’s rays.

I began to protest again, but my words were stopped midair when I knew I was defeated. Who was I kidding? Bonnie knew me better than I did. And I just simply couldn’t deny that something about the boy allured me, but then again, something about him frightened me too.

As we entered the deep blue biology class, Bonnie and I took our seats – this time sitting right in the far corner of the room next to a large window. My heart rate slowed its rabid boy-strung pace as I noticed no sign of my boy – I mean the boy – but at the same time, part of me sunk at his lack of presence.

As if sensing my distress, he came walking in looking even more dashing than before. This time he had somehow found the time to change into the school’s compulsory dullsville uniform. Except, on him it didn’t look at all dull. On him it looked edgy, the fitted beige pants hugged against his muscular legs perfectly and the rolled-up dress shirt exposed his pale, sexy arms.

Realizing I was once again staring, I quickly looked away and hoped against all hope that he – and preferably no one else – had seen me ogling over him. I thought I saw his mouth twitch slightly when I looked up at him again, cheeks burning red, but when I looked again it was gone. Instead, once again he exuded uneasiness, but level-headed confidence.

“Yip, you definitely like him. Have you even heard anything I said? But on the plus side, I'm sure he likes you, I mean, have seen the way he looked at you?” Bonnie continued, somehow for the very first time sounding like she was in a complete other universe. All I could register now was him and the rabid beating of my heart.

After standing briefly at the door, apparently waiting for the rest of the class to take their seats, new boy walked over to us, his eyes set securely on the wooden floor as if fascinated by something no one else saw.

“Here comes prince charming.”  Bonnie whispered. “What do you think his name is? My bets on something dark and mysterious like his face. I'm guessing a Johnny or a Damon or an Edward. What do you think?”

Again I left her questions unanswered and rather gulped when he walked straight towards Bonnie and I. My heart picked up its already rabid pace as my stomach flopped a thousand times. A wave of nausea washed through me as he took a seat on the long table Bonnie and I shared. I swear I felt like I was gonna hurl, or get a heart attack (if I was lucky) – or both.