Chapter 12: Closer

Closer

So it was official. Cap and I were no longer fighting the attraction between us, and even though we were just friends I still felt ecstatic. Gone were the days of feeling like poop whenever I saw him. Gone were the moments of utter awkwardness. Gone were my super insecurities that I wasn’t as desirable as I thought. But with all this new good things, came backlash for my newfound friendship with Cap.

Besides Meghan’s taunting that escalated – that I was sure to bring up on my first ‘therapy’ session – Bonnie had been extremely skeptical about the whole ordeal. She was still my best friend, but somehow she was convinced there was more than a friendship going on between Cap and I – which technically wasn’t true. Things between Damian and I had also become complicated. Aside from the fact that we started spending less time together, my once superior feelings for him were degraded by what I felt for Cap. He didn’t deserve it but it wasn’t like I was dating Cap on the side, anyway.

It was Friday, which meant it was my first therapy session with the school psychologist.

I was walking to the school’s psychologist with Cap feeling nervous about what was about to happen. In her therapy sessions, Bonnie always told me that everything and anything was brought up in that little four-wall room and that stuff between her and Meghan heightened. Whether that was a good thing was soon to be found out.

“I'm nervous,” I told Cap, fiddling with the straps on my Prada tote.

“I'm sure you’ll be fine. I mean, Meghan and Bonnie can’t be that bad.” He said in a reassuring voice.

“Yeah? In eighth grade Bonnie almost killed Meghan when she began taunting Bonnie’s weight.” Back then, Bonnie wasn’t as petite as she was now. She credited Hip Hop Abs for her ‘phenomenal figure’.

“Okay, so maybe I should go with you, just in case.” He said, smiling my smile.

“If only,” I said as I walked through the doors that lead to my counseling session.

The room was nice enough. The rectangular room’s walls were baby blue with cream carpeting. A large bookshelf stood behind a large tigerwood desk that held a black laptop and a few books on it. In front of the desk was comfortable looking chair that had a plus size woman with long gray-blond hair, lively big brown eyes and wore a blue and black power suit, she looked like she was in her mid-forties. In front of the lady, Bonnie and Meghan sat on a large red couch as far away from each other than the red couch would allow.

“Well, look what the witch brought in. Glad you could finally make it.” Meghan said in her usual sarcastically bitchy voice.

“Now Meghan, what did I say about the tone of your voice?” the woman in the suit said, her voice sounded warm but I could sense a stern, dictating tone behind the soft warmth she tried exuding. I didn’t like this lady.

“Yes ma’am. Sorry Chloe.” Meghan said and my mouth dropped to the floor. Never in my ten years of knowing Meghan, had I ever hear her say ‘ma’am’ or ‘sorry Chloe’.

“That’s better,” she said with a warm smile on her face. Bonnie looked at me apologetically before crossing her arms in defiance. I took a seat right between them, but considerably closer to Bonnie than to Meghan.

“Good afternoon, Chloe. My name’s Mrs. Goldstein, but you can call me Angela.” She said with the same eerie warmth, outstretched her hand and smiled.

  “I think I’d be more comfortable calling you Mrs. Goldstein, Mrs. Goldstein.” I said, outstretching my own hand.

“Whatever’s comfortable with you is fine with me. So, why don’t you tell me what happened in drama?”