Chapter 11: Finally Uncringeworthy

Part 2: Punished

“I'm longing for love in the logical, but he’s only happy hysterical. I'm searching for some kind of miracle, waited so long. He’s soft to the touch, but ‘fraid at the end he breaks. He’s never enough, but still he’s more than I can take.”

  Finally Uncringeworthy

Monday morning came once again. This time though, I was excited to go to school. Ever since Saturday I’d had this feeling of cloudy excitement in me. Though I was robbed, Cap and I had finally gone past the whole ‘you-make-me-incredibly-uncomfortable’ phase – he’d even called me on Sunday to make sure I was okay.

As I walked confidently through the doors of South Jefferson I was absolutely sure I was officially in Cap’s good graces. I must’ve radiated the happiness I felt because as soon as I met with Bonnie, she pestered me with ‘ooh-girl’ looks.

“So, what happened with you and Cap on Saturday? You’ve been refusing to talk about on Sunday and now that you seem to be in a hell of a good mood, I'm sure something must have happened.” She said as we walked to English.

“Nothing out of the ordinary that you don’t already know.” I said, I did tell her I was robbed and half of what happened with Cap and I – leaving out anything that suggested my love for him.

“Okay, sure if you gonna be like that… then I won’t tell you about what happened between Tyler and I,” she said, crossing her arms in mocked defiance.

“If it’s what I think happened, then I don’t wanna know.” I said nudging my sexual bff.

“Urgh, not that that did happen – and if it did I wouldn’t tell you – but being alone with Tyler on Saturday was magical,” she said, swooning dramatically as we walked into the class and took our seats.

Cap came in not much later and our eyes locked instantly. I let out a warm smile and waved, and for the first time in public he waved back, giving me that seductive crooked smile. Bonnie’s mouth fell open and I played with my hair.

“I knew something happened!” she whispered to me and watched Cap move to the back. “What would Damian feel about this?”

“We’re just friends, Bon.” I whispered back, and tried making sure no one noticed my blushing.

“Uhum, does a ‘friend’ smile a groundbreaking, sexy smile that he gives to no one else? Do friends toss their hair flirtatiously? Do friends blush deeply when confronted? Do friends’ eyes lock immediately after seeing each other? Do –”

“Okay, okay I get it, Bon. But I swear there’s nothing unusual going on between us. Promise.” I told her. And it was the truth. As much as I wanted to be in a passionate affair with Cap, nothing out of the ordinary happened. Well, minus the fact that something was going on between us and the fact that I felt like I knew Cap from somewhere.

“If you say so, babes. But just watch out, and make sure nothing else happens between you two. I still feel that weird vibe from Cap.” She said, looking back to see Cap as Mr. Sevigné entered the class.

English went on as I daydreamed about Cap. But what Bonnie said somehow stuck with me. She said that Cap gave her a weird vibe, and hadn’t I been getting that same dangerous, scary vibe from him as well?

My mind kept replaying the events from Saturday.

First it was colossal fun, then I saw the man again, then somehow I’d know all the answers of the questions that I had asked Cap, and finally it was the whole beach and robbery thing.

The beach thing was what troubled me the most. Cap said that he was made to allure me, then to rip me apart- only God knew what the hell that meant. Then he’d said that he won’t bring himself to harm me again, which technically could mean a lot of things. Then he’d said goodbye, vanished and left me stranded on the beach where I got robbed soon after, and fetched me not long after the robbery. Though my mind felt uncomfortably muddled after he said goodbye and the robbery commenced – the police had told me it was normal for a victim to feel confused and uncertain of the happenings of a traumatic event – I still felt like there was more that happened that night, something I couldn’t remember no matter how much I tried. And when I woke up the next morning my body had ached, specifically on my left thigh, my neck, the back of my head and my forehead. Why was what I couldn’t remember. Because each time I ran my hands on those specific spots, I’d feel nothing out of the ordinary. Well, except for the weird sensation that my subconscious was trying to tell me something that I couldn’t remember.

Still, I never doubted Cap for a second. Though I knew it would be utterly suicidal to get closer to him, I wanted nothing more. He was the imperfection I’d been so desperately seeking for. It was true that ever since Cap had arrived, my life hadn’t been harder or more confusing and conflicted, but I’d also never been happier, or wanted something as much as I wanted to be with Cap.

The bell rang and I got out of my seat, taking my large Prada tote, which replaced my stolen Louis Vuitton bag, and walked straight into Cap. I looked at Cap, then at Bonnie and sent her a psychic message to go on without me; luckily the message seemed to get through.

“Hey,” he greeted.

“Hey,” I returned the greeting and we walked out of the class together. “I didn’t expect to see you here today,” I lied with a hint of mocked sharpness in my voice.

“Look, Chlo, I now we kinda got off on the wrong foot. But after what happened on Saturday, I think we should consider starting from over.” He said, giving me the dazzling crooked smile. I put on defense just in case this was one of his tricks again.

“I thought you weren’t good for me.”  I said, referencing to the multiple times he said he wasn’t good for me, that he was dangerous and untrustworthy.

“Well, I’ve been thinking. And I've come to the conclusion that I can’t stay away from you, even if I tried. It was the reason I came back today, and on Saturday, and after the whole incident on the My Vampire ride thing.” He said, scratching his head in apparent nervousness. He seemed serious about the whole ordeal.

“So, what am I gonna do when you decide you’re not good for me, again, and then start cringing away from me once again?” I asked, skeptically.

“Saturday convinced me that, I need to be with you – To protect you and whatnot. Even if we’re just friends or acquaintances, as long as I'm something to you.” He said, with a little hurt lacing his words. Little did he know he was everything to me.

“I don’t know,” hurt flashed briefly in his eyes. “Well, okay.” I couldn’t bear to hurt him even though his scowl hurt me countless times.

“So, deal?” he said, his black diamond eyes brightening.

“Sure, why not?”

“Hi, I'm Capriano Delguard, or Cap for short.” He said, stopping in the school’s traffic to face me.  I blushed.

“I'm Chloe Van Cleef, but you can call me Chlo,” I said smiling, it took everything in me not to lock my arms around him and finally kiss those soft, delectable lips. His eyes reflected my struggle for control.

“Nice to me you, Chlo,” he said with the crooked smile that melted my heart. We shook hands, just a little bit too long, and we were off to second period.

As we walked to Calculus, we walked so close to each other, our free hands dangling and trying their best to not to let our fingers lock together. I was officially uncringeworthy.