Chapter 9: What His Words Do To Me

What His Words Do To Me

The attendant pushed the rail down, locking Cap and I into the train-like car of the rollercoaster. There was no turning back now. My heart thudded viciously, I knew if this ride’s rail opened like the previous ride had, there was no way I would survive. My hand absentmindedly searched for Cap’s hand, finding it almost as soon as it began the search. His hand squeezed mine and a sudden rush ran through me.

“You’re gonna be okay, Chlo. I’ll make sure of it.” He said, his reassuring voice bringing instant peace into me.

I inhaled deeply, looked into Cap’s diamond black eyes, and grabbed tightly onto the rail with my free hand. Cap inhaled and the alarm rang off, signaling the beginning of the ride. My heart rate increased as the car rode slowly along the tracks before it reached its peak, about sixty feet above the initial height of the track. The car stopped right at its peak before once again starting, first allowing its passengers to look unto their forthcoming doom before dropping at a phenomenal speed. My scream was caught in my throat as adrenaline rushed through me. My grip over Cap’s hand tightened and I swear he moved closer to me. As the ride slowed down a smidge, the scream that sat fixed in my throat released and my voice joined the group of passengers’ almost harmonious screams. 

And just like that, the ride was over. I felt over my body to make sure everything that was supposed to be there was there and when I was sure everything was there, I got out of the rollercoaster car when the rail opened.

“See, I told you you’ll be okay?”

“Yeah you did,” I said smiling warmly.

“Wanna get something to eat?”

“Why not?” I said in a slightly high pitched voice, my overworking heart beating faster at the thought of actually going out to eat with Cap. I didn’t even see Cap eat before so I assumed he didn’t have a liking to whatever the school was offering.

We walked around until we settled for cotton candy when we couldn’t find a decent hotdog stand. The pink lushness of the cotton candy melted into my mouth and I sighed in pleasure. Cap was done eating before me, his face covered in the remnants of the cotton candy.

With my left hand I reached out to wipe the candy of his face, the touch sending the otherworldly connection Cap and I had through my core. He smiled the phenomenal crooked smile and took a piece of my cotton candy, stuffing it into his mouth. I giggled like a fool.

“Don’t you think it’s time to do the whole tutoring thing? I mean, I'm having a blast and all. But if I don’t fill anything into the roster thing, Mr. O'Conner’s gonna kill me.” I said as we walked around. Cap nodded and I was slightly disappointed that I couldn’t spend more time with Cap at the amusement park. But at least I’d still be with him.

“Ride with me, Chlo.” Cap said as we reached the parking area. “It’ll be good for the environment.” He continued after he saw the hesitant look on my face. The thought of riding in Cap’s personal space – well other than his home – was both intriguing and freighting. At the park there were hundreds of witnesses keeping me safe and in check. But alone in Cap’s car, and who knew what would happen.

I walked over toward his black Jeep and got into the car. The car’s black leather seats were cold, and there was a few crumbs from the remnants of some type of biscuit in the backseat, but other than that the car was spotless – not even a speck of dust on the dashboard. I buckled my seatbelt and checked the rearview mirror for any men standing in the middle of the car’s path. When I was sure everything was okay, I exhaled deeply and Cap got into the Jeep, his hands gripping the steering wheel.