Chapter 6: Avoiding Me Again?

Avoiding Me Again?

“So I’ve been thinking,” Bonnie said as soon as I exited the vintage Rolls on Thursday morning, a broad smile stretching across her face. I knew where this was going. Bonnie always had that smile when she was plotting something that I wouldn’t particularly like. Hopefully it had nothing to do with Cap.

Unsurprisingly, Cap hadn’t come to school Monday. I was both relieved and disappointed that he hadn’t come to school. But the relief overshadowed my disappointment, after all, what was I gonna say to him if he came to school, anyway? Come to think of it, Cap saved us a whole lot of awkwardness. And in the days that followed, Cap had come to school, after all. But he’d done all he could to avoid any contact with me and during bio he simply ignored me. How was I supposed to show him around if he forgot I even existed? Oh well, I'm sure he’d be able to get around himself.

“Wait, this has nothing to do with Cap, does it?” I said just to make sure. I didn’t yet tell her about my plans to be with Cap on Saturday. But then again, it wasn’t like I was going on a date, date with him, anyway.

“Well, kinda, sorta. But not in the way you think!” she said as I gave her a weary skeptical look.

“Bonnie, I want n–”

“No, just let me finish. So, you remember Tyler, don’t you?” she said referencing to her crush or whatever. She and Tyler had a shaky on and off relationship since this February.

“The guy you like?”

“I do not like him! I'm simply,” she stopped as if to think of the perfect word to say, “infatuated with him, that’s all.”

“More like simply in lust with him.”

“Well you know how I like me some white chocolate,” she said bumping me with her elbow and we laughed in unison.

“So, what about him?”

“Well, I've been thinking,”

“Oh Bonnie, not another one of your schemes,”

“Chlo, I promise it has nothing to do with Facebook stalking him, or anything silly like that. It’s just,”

“Just what, Bon?”

“Well, when last have you and Damian gone on a real date?”

“I –” come to think of it, it had been a while since it was just Damian and I staring at the sunset on top of one of Marketa’s rooftop buildings. I had the feeling just Damian and I wasn’t what Bonnie was getting to. “Well can you tell me what you’re planning, I'm gonna be late for first period.”

“I was thinking that, you know, you and Damian and Tyler and I could, you know, go on a date together?”

“You mean like a double date?”

“If you wanna put a label on it, then yes.”

“Bon, you know how I don’t like double dating.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Oh, please, Chloe? Tyler won’t come with unless his best friend comes along, and Damian won’t come along without you. So you see in need you, my bestest friend in the whole wide world!” She said emphasizing on the best friend. “It’ll be like four best friends getting together like best friends do, just with benefits.” She said actually nudging and winking.

“I don’t know Bon,” I said. The correctly functioning part of my brain actually wanted to go, but the other side, the side that’s seemed to be doing all the thinking lately, didn’t want to. On its surface it made excuses about not liking double dating, but I knew deep inside the reason it really didn’t wanna do it was because of Cap. It felt as if I went on this date with Damian I’d be somehow betraying Cap – even though we weren’t even friends, let alone a couple. “I'm gonna be late for drama.” I said as she begged me with her eyes. “We’ll talk about this later, after I’d had time to think.”