Chapter 27: The Empty Plot

So, did you forget about this guy? It's Ana's best friend from her original world. Just a quick little filler that I have been wanting to write for a while now. I hope that you enjoy.

----------------Alan's POV----------------

I was standing in front of the cold, unanswering piece of black marble.

"Damn it, Ana. How could you leave like that? You would always say that I'd be helpless without you to solve my emotional problems for me. You couldn't be more right. You were my best and only true friend. I just hope that you've found peace, wherever you are." I was crying. It wasn't manly, but I really didn't care. My only friend in the world had been missing for about three months now and presumed dead. The police had known that she was there on the scene shortly after her parents' murder, but the murderer and Ana left no trace other than that. Her case had gone cold. I walked one plot over to the right. Ana's parents. They were together even in death. I had known Ana since elementary school and her parents had become like second parents to me. I still had my girlfriend, family, and other friends, but an irreplaceable part of my life had been torn from me forever.

Ana was just one of those things that was always there. We became fast friends in elementary school and then just happened to attend the same schools for the rest of our education. I've had girlfriend after girlfriend and some good guy friends over the years, but Ana was always there, unchanging. People would always complain that she'd never text back, but whenever I'd send her a message, no matter what ungodly hour it might be at, she would send me a quick reply. When I asked her why, she just said that I was her best friend and had earned the right to a speedy reply. I still don't know what I did to earn that right...

I left some flowers in front the graves of best friend's parents and a bouquet in front of the head stone that guarded an empty plot. Waiting for the missing body to one day be found.

I walked back to my car and drove home in silence. I couldn't help but wonder if Ana was thinking about me wherever she was now. I didn't know it, but at that moment she was.

----------------------------------

Edited 4/14/2016