Chapter 30

Chapter 30

            The four of us sat on the front porch. Mom took a deep breath.

            “So I didn’t lie when I said I was going to the mall. I actually did go there and I did mean to go home. It was just a normal day of shopping.”

She sighed and Dad held her closer to comfort her. He whispered in her ear, “You got this, Em, you can tell us.”

She continued.

**Emily’s POV**(that day)

            I was walking out the mall with a bunch of new toys and clothes and accessories for Jayden and Drew. Gosh, I just loved spoiling my two little men.

            As I made my way towards my car, someone suddenly slammed me against it. I was about to scream, but then I saw who it was. “Ohmygod, you scared the shit outta me. How have you been? We haven’t talked in forever.” He had a dispute with my husband a few months ago, ruining their great friendship.

            “Nice to see you, too, Emily,” he smiled at me. “Wanna grab some Starbucks down the block and catch up?”

            I hesitated. Should I be hanging out with him? But then again it wouldn’t hurt.

            “Sure why not?”

            I was sitting at a table when he finally brought us our drinks. We began chatting and I took in a mouthful of my iced vanilla latte. It tasted funny like it was spiked or something, but  I just thought it needed more sugar. My vision began to blur as I continued to drink. I felt like I was about to black out. He was calling my name asking if I was okay.

But I had no time to answer because I collapsed into the dark.

When I woke up, I was in the couch of someone’s living room. My head was pounding and everything was a haze. Where the hell was I? My eyes focused on a figure sitting in a chair a few yards away. It was him again.

He looked at his watch and gave me a smile. “Well, it’s about time you woke up, Emily. You’ve been out for three days. I thought I killed you, haha.”

I was so confused. Three days…? “What in the friggin hell happened?” I demanded as I tried to sit up. “Why the hell am I in your house?”

“Well, you passed out in Starbucks. And I brought you back here to rest,” he told me.

“YOU LIVE IN A DIFFERENT STATE!” I exclaimed. “Why couldn’t you just take me home?! Drew and Jayden must be worried sick.”

He smirked at me. “I’m afraid I couldn’t do that, sweetheart.”

I choked on the air. “What do you mean you fucking couldn’t?!?!”

“You’re mine,” he moved closer, “and you’re not leaving me now that I have you again.”

I glared at him. “Get over yourself. What we had together in high school was not serious and was nothing. Nothing. At. All.”

“Well, it was everything to me,” he shouted. “You’re never leaving here.”

“LIKE HELL I AM!” I made a run for the front door, but something caught my hair and slammed me on the floor.

He got on top on me straddling me. “You’re making this harder than it has to be, Em.”

“LET ME GO!” I struggled beneath me. “HELPPPPPPPP , SOMEONE H-” He clamped his hand over my mouth while holding me down and put a rag in it while tying together my feet so I wouldn’t kick.

I shook the table next to us the best I could and a glass vase broke on top of him, sending him off of me. I used the chance to get up and hop to the kitchen. I picked up the phone to call 911, but then I felt myself getting lifted up all of a sudden and cried out in pain.

“You want to play bad, Emily?” he growled in my ear as he walked forward. “Then you need to be captivated.” He opened a door roughly and threw me down the basement stairs.

I had wished it killed me.”

**Jayden’s POV**

            I was horrified from what she just informed us about. I had already broken part of the chair me and Bree sat on.

            Mom’s eyes began to water, “Every time I tried to escape, I got a horrible punishment. He threatened to kill me if I ever got away.” She brushed a tear away. “He treated me like a queen though, but he would touch me, rape me, abuse me…” She raised up her shirt to show us her bruises and marks. It’s like she got dipped in dark purple and blue and black paint. “Then he made me divorce you, Drew.”

            Dad clenched his fists and stood up as I mimicked him. “Who in the fucking hell did this to you? Who… is… he?”

            She squeezed her eyes shut and then stared back at him. “It was Paul Peters. Your best friend.”

            “PAUL?!?!?!?!?!?” Dad exploded. He picked up a trash can and threw it across the lawn.

            “Wait wait wait. Then who is P. Greyson?” I questioned my mom furiously.

            “He changed his last name to Greyson, in case he ever got caught,” she explained.

            I held my mom as she bawled into my arms as my Dad lost his temper. “Mom, it’s over, it’s all going to be okay again. We’ll call the police. But always remember that I and Dad always love you.”

            “I love you, too,” she murmured, “forever.”

             Bree pulled out her phone to call the police, but suddenly a car came to screeching stop in front of us. Out of it came Paul and Liam.

            Once Dad noticed, he lunged at Paul. “HOW COULD YOU FUCKING DO THAT TO HER, TO US, YOU FUCKING PSYCHO BASTARD?” He impacted heavy punches and kicks to every word he said. Even Liam couldn’t claw him off. I didn’t try either. Paul deserved every ounce of pain Dad was inflicting on him right now.

            Dad finally got off of him and sneered at Liam, “How could you stand by and watch your father do that to my wife? Huh, Liam?”

            Liam couldn’t look him in the eye. “I never wanted this. I had no say though. There was nothing I could do, okay?!”

            I walked up into his face and exclaimed, “But there was so much you could have done, dick wad. You sicken me to the nines.”

            I heard rustling down behind me. I saw Paul limping his way up.

            He glanced at my mother. “I told you what I’d do, Emily, if you ever escaped.”

            “DAD NO!!!!!!” Liam screamed and ran to lunge at his dad.

            Before I could process what was happening, I saw Paul pull out a gun and aim it at Mom. 

            He pulled the trigger and there was nothing to think about. I loved her too much.

So I jumped in front of her.

            The last I heard were screams from Dad and Aubrey.

            I’m so sorry, Bree.