Chapter XXXXIX ~ Thonia

"You remember my cousin I told you from reunion? The one who is also addicted to Metacosmos? He's throwing a birthday party with the same theme! I will ask him if you can come with me."

"I'll make sure I finished Metacosmos X before going there." Josh laughed and we made our way to the fifth floor to room 546, the StuPub room.

We saw Mrs. Tobi from the small glass window of the door and knocked before entering. "Oh, finally, Thonia! I thought you ditched your job."

We bowed our way to the side where Asaila, Gabe and Stephen were seated. "Sorry, ma'am, had to stay with Mister Gaya after dismissal."

Mrs. Tobi nodded and seemed to roll her eyes unconsciously as I said the name of our Economics teacher. "Anyway, are the articles ready for publishing?"

"Yes." I nodded and showed her the hard drive where I saved the articles I started editing only last night and finished right before we went here. Oh, I must say I should have an award being a great cramming editor-in-chief.

"What took you so long?" Asaila whispered once Mrs. Tobi had diverted her attention to another journalist.

I was about to explain when Stephen hid his laughter with a cough. "Don't ask, A, you might not want to hear." Josh grinned beside him so I did not bother to correct his dirty thoughts.

"—our final paper will be published at the end of our school year. I'll give most jobs to the non-graduating members because—" Mrs. Tobi glanced at our side where most seniors were located. "—the seniors will be busy with early exams and of course, their year book."

Gabe and Stephen let out cry of victory and laughter emerged in the classroom, even Mrs. Tobi. Gabe leaned forward and whispered between Asaila and me, "I joined this org four years ago for this!"

"I'll be giving more instructions for the Year Book in the following weeks." She looked at the columns of desks from left to right and smiled. "That's all. Meeting adjourned."

Rows by rows the members left the room. "I can put my name for the front cover or my picture or Josh's naked body, right Thones?" Gabe and Stephen were excited for the new task, felt different because they usually felt stressed and restless whenever the publications were due.

"I'll have dinner with Rhed for valentines," Asaila said once we stood but she did not seem to be so happy about it. "I hope he won't start talking about his favorite celebrities or my hair or my dresses again." She rolled her eyes.

I laughed and reminded her, "But you love talking about those."

"Yeah! To you! Not to my date or crush, it's an appropriate topic for a guy, though. A real guy." She rolled her eyes. Josh grabbed my hand and she saw it happened. "Bye. I have to take a special exam for being absent yesterday." Josh and I waved at her using our free hands.

"Wanna go eating?" Gabe caught us at the door. "Stephen's treat!"

Stephen rushed out the door before us and laughed. "No way, bro. I'm saving for tomorrow. Valentine's date with Cel. Do you want to have multiple date? We can invite Kennard and Alex too." I forgot the next day would be Valentine's Day. Josh had not even asked me about our plans.

"What about me, Steph? Leaving me just because I don't have a bloody date, eh?" Gabe grunted while eating a bar of chocolate.

"Oh!" Stephen's smile widened. "Don't worry, you won't be alone at all." We followed his gaze and saw Fredd approaching with a messy hair like he was having a real difficulty about something.

"Hey, man." Stephen patted his shoulder. "Everything fine?"

"Yes," he looked at each one of us for split seconds except Josh.

"Want to go with us?" Gabe asked, still not dropping the idea of having snacks.

"No, I'm... I have to do something."

"Finding a date for tomorrow?" I finally chimed in.

"Uhm, speaking of," Fredd scratched his temple and finally looked at Josh. Josh, who seemed to know where this was going, nonchalantly raked his hair and let his hand fall on the back of his neck. "I... can I ask... for the dance... your... uhm...?" He ended with a raised brow, asking for approval. I glanced from him to Josh.

"You're asking who? What dance? What are you talking about, Fredd?" Josh asked, puzzled.

Fredd took a deep breath and explained in a kind of fading confidence until it vanished again before the last two words. "I heard there's going to be a sophomore dance tomorrow and I know I have nothing to do with it but I was wondering if I can ask... your sister."

"May." Josh said. "You wanted yourself to be May's date."

"Yeah." Fredd replied. "It's not what you think I mean it's not going to be a real date or whatever, I just don't want her to be alone tomorrow because she seemed to really want to go but she had no date until now and you can't accompany her because it will be awkward and you already have Thonia." He said in a rush I almost laughed out loud.

"No." Josh said after a while of silence and started moving, pulling me with our entwined hands.

I let go of our touch and defended Fredd who appeared to be depleted. "Why not? That will be great, Josh." I smiled when he turned back and patted Fredd's shoulder.

"Why? I mean, he might just want to go because he likes to meet sophomore girls." Josh said as if his friends were not around.

Fredd smirked coming back to his real personality. "Bro, come on. Better me than other stupid and malicious guy, right? I'm one of your best friends and what do you think her friends will say when she showed up without a date? I'm here to guard her for you."

I went beside Josh who was studying Fredd as if x-raying him and he said, "Okay, okay. Just make sure you guard her, okay? She's not so used to those kinds of parties." I smiled because I remembered himself while describing her sister. He stared at Fredd again with a curious look and asked him. "Anyway, how can you be so sure she likes to go there? She hasn't even mentioned any dance at me."

I reached for his hand again and squeezed it. "Girls tend to hide being excited about those especially when there's no definite date yet."

"Yes, indeed!" Fredd agreed.

I checked my time and was lucky to see it was not too late for my Glee Club meeting. "Josh, I'll try to catch up for the Glee Club. I want to sign up for the Year-End concert. I might get the lead." I winked before running to the Glee Club Room on the far end of the StuPub. Bolted in and sat eagerly. My heart suddenly pumped to its fastest speed and I felt piercing on my leg.

"Thonia, are you all right?" Liza consoled. I smiled and nodded, ignoring my another hyperchondriatic thought.

: