Chapter XXXXVIII ~ Joshua

The holidays went by and I could not think of the best way to spend it without Thonia. Everything I did, everything I had seemed lifeless and dull without her near. We talked on Christmas Eve and New Year but those were not enough for me. I truly miss her in a sense only to see and feel her would erase. I hoped she did feel the same. What made it worse was that the single week nearly became two which gave her barely three days of holidays left.

"All the slots and booking for buses and even planes were all taken! Mom and I had no choice but to stay until the season finally ends." She had ranted over the phone one lucky night when there was clear network coverage; however the call was immediately interrupted and cut before we even said "I love you."

"Game Over. Player two survives the Metacosmos."

The screen showed the hairy player claiming his victory. Kennard laughed next to me. "Three-one, bro. Better catch up." Kennard stayed at my place whenever he had free time or, should I say, whenever he had some issues with his girlfriend or parents. On the other hand, all my other friends went to outings with their families.

"One more game," I said. He restarted the Metacosmos V and went to the main page. I was done picking my usual player, Bral the Alchemist, when my phone rang. "Wait a sec."

It's Thonia. "Hey!"

"How are you? When are you going back?"

She giggled on the other line. "Can you shut up for a while."

"Well, if you were answering my messages I would shut up now." I said and heard Kennard dying with laughter.

"Sorry, Josh! That's why I called. I left my phone in Mom's bag then she went somewhere with my aunts. When they returned, I could not find a loading station until now plus the signal is not good on the way."

"'On the way'? Where? are you going home?" I hoped I was right.

"Josh, I really need to go, now. Talk to you later." She said in a rush.

"Okay, I just miss you." I heard Kennard laughed harder.

"I miss you more. Don't worry about me, I survived handling my strange clan, what else can be worse?"

"Strange, huh?" I smiled, still ignoring Kennard. "I love you."

"I love you too." I heard shuffling voices in the background and she went. After that, I decided I should not act like a clingy and anxious boyfriend because I must know my girlfriend could handle herself stronger.

I glared at Kennard who could not stop laughing even then. "Bro, you're lucky her family knows about you two. As for me and Alex... impossible."

"Why? Have you tried?"

"No way, Josh! Her mom works in school and her dad is a cop, though. She even said they forbid her to have a boyfriend and just focus on studying," he explained.

He seemed out of his mind when I announced, "Two-Three, you died first." He cursed loudly and the door of my room suddenly opened. I leaped on my feet and rushed to the person who burst in. "When did you get home?" I stared at Thonia and kissed her before she even answered.

She pulled away and smiled. A piece of paper bag was in her hands. "Just earlier. I wanted to go here first thing." She glanced behind me and saw Kennard who waved back. "Hey, Ken!" We went inside my room.

"How was your vacation?" Kennard asked the question I should have asked. He now sat on the bed beside me.

Thonia went straight to the carpet of my gamebox. "Well honestly, it wasn't bad as I had expected. I met aunts, uncles and cousins I never knew existed, or I was just so young the last time I saw them. Anyway, can I eject the disk?"

Kennard and I nodded. I pushed the game controller aside and sat down beside her. "So... did you meet handsome relatives?"

She raised a brow at me and smirked. "Uhh, yeah I did."

"Did he get your number or email?" I skeptically asked.

Kennard laughed again. "Josh is becoming a paranoid, Thones."

"I know. Thirthy unread messages overnight." Thonia chuckled.

"Well, sorry for being anxious about you." I sarcastically threw.

"No, I appreciate it." Thonia smiled sweetly. "I have a good news, Josh!" She said happily. "Dad's relatives are planning to buy Love Cup back!"

"Yes! Free cakes and coffees, if ever." Kennard chuckled.

Thonia and I grinned at each other. I could say anything because I was so happy she was back. "But they told us not to hope for it too much yet. It might get years, but I don't care. I'll get it back myself when I can. Anyway, I have a surprise for the both of you." She tore the paperbag open and revealed Metacosmos X.

For the second time today, Kennard was the first one who spoke. "Awesome! Where did you get that?"

She shrugged. "Let's say a reward for the long week. Wanna play?"

Kennard rose and glanced at me. "I'd love to, but not today. Not when you're still craving each other's company after a long time. Have fun." He grinned and left the room, gently closing the door behind him.

"So," Thonia said once we were alone and leaned on the bedframe. "Wanna play the last Metacosmos?"

"Of course!" I grabbed for my controller and settled beside her. We both picked the same character and chose the Adventure tab. "Can I put my arm around you?"

She sent me the Thonia-style glare which wasstill inexplicable and rolled her eyes back to the screen. "Ofcourse." From my point of view I could see her lopsided discreet smile."Just make sure you won't get the two Brals dead and survive the Metacosmos."