Chapter X ~ Joshua

Since I wouldn't have any company this afternoon, I planned to have a time alone. Love Cup, the nearby coffee shop, had the perfect air condition, ambience, and drinks. I sat on one of the tables for two with comfy seats and dim lighting. My phone wasn't used so I had full battery to play an online game with, thanks to the 3G connection of my phone paid by my mother's credit card and thanks to my ATM allowance from my parents' "considerate hardwork" I had budget to order a cake, mousse and frappé.

My game was interrupted by a text message. To my surprise, it was my mother.

Josh, we won't be home tonight. Call us when you get this.

I drank my frappe and called her. "Mom," I said after the call was answered.

"Hey, Josh. Are you home?" she said.

I wiped my eyes. When was the last time she asked that? When was the last time she showed that she cared? I managed a day, week, month, without talking to them. But as moments passed, it felt wrong. In the end of the day, I needed them.

"Son?"

"No," I said. "I'm going home."

"So, you're not yet home." I heard her light laugh. Same voice that had sung me lullabies. May inherited it, although I was irritated by her loud songs some mornings in the shower.

"I'm doing homework in a coffee shop."

"With your girlfriend, huh? Let me meet her someday." Dad's voice sounded in the background; teased me like before.

"When did you have a girlfriend?!" Mom showed her surprise that made me smile.

"I'm alone, mom."

She sighed, not believing me. "Josh, the plane's here. Well, just wanted you to know that we won't be home until Sunday evening. Take care of your little sister, okay? And the housekeeper will visit twice a day to bring you food."

"Where are you going?" I asked. A weekend alone with my sister did not sound so exciting.

"We have a business meeting. Sorry, this came up suddenly."

"It's fine." We were used to it.

"May will be home late. Check on her, text her."

"Why? Until what time?"

"I don't know. She said she'll have to go with her friends." She said, hurriedly. "Bye, honey. We have to go. See you. We'll miss you and May," she paused, I thought she hung up when she added "I love you. That's from me and your father." I nodded although she couldn't see me. "Bye." The call went off. I took a deep breath and finish my food.

It was nearly sunset when I went home. What a lonely day without my friends after school and no one at home. I went straight to my room. Without changing, I jumped on my bed and opened the book on my bedside table.

After Darkness by Dayne Rade

Have you ever experienced being away from the light? When darkness seemed to take over your world?

After reading a chapter and two, I shifted and felt a hard thing in my pocket. I checked what it was and brought out the stick. Let this be the final, please.

True love is inevitable.

Unavoidable.

Why did these quotes bothered me so much. At some point I found it silly, like I was going nuts and crazy. At one point I thought maybe it was destiny. I did not believe in those things, but what if, just what if, life is more than just choices.