Chapter XVI ~ Joshua

I didn't feel coming to school, but since I wanted to dedicate a graduation speech for my friends next year, I had to prove my best.

I attended my classes the usual way before I started getting quotes weeks ago. No looking under tables and lockers. No need. Learning that Thonia Buenviaje was the one who owned those sticks was like finding a piece of me and shredding it into pieces.

What was more? I had to eat lunch with her, courtesy of Fredd and Kennard, Gabe and Stephen—my supportive friends.

The canteen was not full. There were vacant tables and unoccupied chairs. Kennard still had his math book on hand, studying for the coming contest next next week. Gabe and Stephen were carrying their laptop and iPad. Fredd walked beside me; no Mary at the moment. We were looking for a table to have lunch with.

"What happened to your girlfriend, buddy?" I asked him as we finished getting our orders.

"Of course we had to miss each other sometimes. And don't you like me giving you my time, right Gabby?" He smiled and patted Gabe's back.

"Guess, if you kept on adding y to our names, we're better off without you Freddy." Gabe stretched his arms behind him and yawned.

"What are you two doing?" Fredd asked Stephen and Gabe.

Stephen closed his iPad lid, slipped it between his underarm and got his food tray. "Editing our new issue for the term." They looked stressed about it. "You!" he addressed me. "Josh, you'll start to help us tomorrow." If I was not his close friend, I'll get angry about his bossiness. "Yes, boss." I lamely replied.

"Why are you alone, Princess?" Stephen stopped as we looked for a table. I looked behind where he was and saw Thonia Buenviaje. I awkwardly diverted my eyes of her. Seeing her was like reality slapping me that she was the one who made those sticks which influenced me so much. Thinking about it made me dizzy.

"What were you saying?" Thonia sneered at him like a tiger planning to attack a squirrel.

Stephen waved his hands, erasing what he'd said, partly scared.

"Do you have company?" Fredd asked but he put down his tray already.

"None, actually." Thonia returned the book she was reading in her violet backpack.

"Good, I am really hungry." My friends started to file in the table.

I did not make any move. This was not a very good place to eat lunch especially after what happened yesterday. She stared at me like I was not welcomed, only my friends. "Josh?" Gabe noticed me so I eventually sat directly in front of her, the only vacant seat. I had no time if my friends would ask what was going on. Explaining that Thonia was the one who took my sanity for two weeks, could open up weird issues. These were my friends we were talking about!

My instinct forced me to smile at her, just to ease the tension so my friends would not mind. She smiled back but her eyes weren't at me, but to the person beside me. Kennard had closed his book and ate. "Where is Asaila?"

"A?" She rolled her eyes. "Her boyfriend consumed her so much I didn't want to be the third wheel."

"Wait, she has a boyfriend?" Stephen laughed.

"Uh-huh," Thonia confirmed. Asaila was a little crazy and immature, from how they described her.

"Who is he?"

Thonia hesitated, but said, "Arthur something."

"King Arthur and the Round Table." Kennard joked.