Chapter III ~ Joshua

I was woken from my dreamless sleep. The sun hadn't risen. The clock on my bedside table shows exactly 4:00. One hour before I really had to get up. I lay down on my back, hands flat on my abdomen. I had to remind myself there's still more things to think about rather than the popsicle stick.

I went down to the mini library and look for a good book to spend time with. My eyes adjusted to the light. I was too lazy and grabbed the first book on the nearest shelf. After Darkness. Was that new? Never seen it before. Been a long time since I went in that library, though. Maybe Dad had bought it recently.

"Morning reads?" Dad walked beside me. The door of the basement was located at the far end of the library. He might have entered without me noticing it.

I nodded and acted like reading the description at the back, but I couldn't focus thinking he was watching me closely.

"It's one of the best if you like spiritual books." He fixed his eyeglasses. "Otherwise, you'll get bored."

I wanted to know what he was doing this time of the day, but I had no guts to ask. Working endless... He reached for the book and browsed it.

"After the night comes a dawn peeking by," he stated a quote from a random page he probably memorized. He handed it over to me and patted my shoulder. Without another word, he left to go upstairs.

I missed our book talks with mom. I hoped I could bring back time and repeat it. I returned the book back and just went to my room to watch random shows in the television.

I didn't know I drifted to sleep again until my alarm clock woke me up.

I stood up and turned the television off. Five-thirty. The sun already rose. I yawned and open the door to the bathroom.

May removed her toothbrush. "Goodmorning," she said and continued brushing.

"I told you to lock my side of the door whenever you're here." The bathroom was the intersection of my bedroom and May's.

She stepped back to give me space on the sink. She stuck her brush out again. "Forgot," she shrugged.

I kept on reminding her to close the doors whenever she was inside the bathroom, for privacy. I got my toothbrush from the rack. "What if my friends were here? You'll just let them enter while you're taking a shower?"

She shoved me and rinsed. "Then I'll lock it when your friends are here."

"How will you know if they're here or not?" I stared at her.

She wiped her face using the towel. "Who won't know if they're here? It was like you're always partying."

It was my turn to brush my teeth. "I hate to have a sister smarter than me."

"Well, I'm not in the top of my batch though." She laughed and went in her room. "You take a bath first. Need to finish my homework."

~

"Mary finally agreed to go out with me." Fredd announced.

"When?" We sat on one of the benches of our school garden.

"Tomorrow, Saturday." Mary was his girl since freshmen year, but she didn't notice him until now.

"Good job, bro!" I laughed.

"I couldn't have done it without you." he said. "Speaking of you, how are you? Free from any disturbing thoughts?"

"Not free, but I guess I'm done with them for now." I massaged the back of my neck.