Realization

Ianto is losing blood, too much blood. "Owen come on hurry up!" I shout into my earpiece, "We're losing him!"

"Going as fast as I can Jack," came the reply," I've already nearly killed about five people."

"I don't care, just get here now!" I cried. I knew that I was being irrational but I was desperate, I couldn't lose Ianto.

Later in the hub

"OK," said Owen, "He needs blood fast, is anyone a-negative because I haven't got any of that left after Rhys decided to get into a fight with a weevil last week."

Gwen shot him an annoyed look.

"I am" I said," Do it now, before it's too late."

As Owen took my blood I stared at Ianto's pale face, he looked as if he was sleeping, his features were peaceful and relaxed.

1 hour later

"Jack," Ianto croaked.

I looked up to where he was lying on the medical table, "Hey," I said.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Weevils," I said," One attacked you from behind before you had the chance to do anything."

Ianto started to get up but I pushed him back down before he had the chance to sit up.

"Stay there," I said," You lost a lot of blood, I'll go and tell Owen that you're awake."

Sitting in my flat, Owen's old flat, overlooking the bay over a year after he died I realize, realize what my blood should have done. It can't have worked though; he would have come back by now. I decide to go down to the place I always go to think, the old entrance to Torchwood but also where we scattered Ianto's ashes. I feel like I'm closer to him there, wherever he is, it's not like I'm ever going to find out.

As I neared the place I felt a sense of dread or wrongness, as if something was wrong. The bay was strangely quiet despite the tourists that had been there only a day before. Where was everyone? Surely I would have noticed if something had happened?

When I got down to the old entrance I stood looking at the shrine that had been constructed in Ianto's memory over the last year. I walked over to the edge of the shrine and read through the poem that I had written for Ianto letting all of the grief, loneliness and pain wash over me. A/N: The poem mentioned is actually at Ianto's shrine, it is on the right of the shrine and is now slightly covered over by more recent things that people have left.

I heard a noise behind me and turned around to see Ianto standing behind me. He was wet as if he had just been in the water and he looked confused and disorientated. "Ianto," I breathed. "It did work, you're alive."

"What worked", he said," Jack what did you do?"