Isaiah

Jack's pov

"No, no, no it can't be you, you were killed." I say, memories start rushing through my head, brought to the surface by his voice. The voice of my biggest regret. Well my biggest regret apart from Gray.

I spin around to see the familiar face of my old friend and comrade, "Isaiah," I breathe, he looks the same as last time I saw him, he is fairly small, which is what marked him out as weaker than me and made the creatures we were fighting torture him. He is badly scarred on his arms and face and I know that there are worse scars on his torso which is covered by a t-shirt. He looks like he hasn't eaten in a while and his vortex manipulator is on it's last legs.

I usher him inside as Ianto comes out of our bedroom yawning. He looks at Isaiah questioningly, taking note of his scars, and follows us into the kitchen. Isaiah collapses into a chair as Ianto gets to work with our coffee machine and I sit down opposite him.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, "Last time I saw you, you were half dead and well frankly you don't look much better now."

"I escaped," he said, "I was on the brink of death and you had gone to God knows where and then a man who called himself the Doctor came and saved me. He destroyed the enemy in that base and got my vortex manipulator working before going into this box, this blue box, and disappearing, I've never seen anyone like him. Anyway I was able to go back home and they helped me but I had no one left, my entire family was killed Jack, your mother was the next best thing I had. Anyway as soon as I was fit enough I locked down on your vortex manipulator and followed it here."

"The Doctor," I said, "Of course he would come in and save the day."

Ianto comes over and puts two mugs of coffee on the table before resting his hand on my shoulder, I realise how bitter I sounded.

"You know him?" Isaiah asks.

"Oh yeah I know him," I say, the memory of the last time we met coming into my mind. "Well I used to, he's a different man now."

"He said that he was looking for someone, his companion, River he said," says Isaiah.

"Not his companion his wife," I say, "Although I suppose she might not have been at that point."

I notice that Isaiah is shaking and realise how cold it must be here compared to the Boeshane peninsula. "I'll go get you a jacket and then I have something to show you," I say.

***

We arrive at the hub at around seven, the same time as Tosh who has been coming in earlier than normal to sort out some paperwork before everyone else gets in.

"Who's this?" she asks, clearly taking in the scars like Ianto.

"Come to think of it you never told me either," says Ianto.

"This is Isaiah, an old friend of mine from the Boeshane peninsula," I say before leading the way into the hub via the information desk.

Isaiah stops and looks around in amazement, "What is this?" he asks.

"Welcome to Torchwood," I say, "We protect the Earth."

"Same old Jack then," Isaiah smiles for the first time since returning.

As I walk up to my office, leaving Ianto to show Isaiah around, Tosh calls me over.

"Jack, I don't want to be rude but, what happened to him?" she says.

"We were fighting these...creatures and we got captured, they picked him out as weaker than me and tortured him, they forced me to watch and then let me go when he was on the brink of death. I wanted to stay but they wouldn't let me, I thought that he was dead all this time."

I walked away before Tosh could see the tears in my eyes. Those were some of my worst memories.

A:N/ That wasn't the best ending I've ever written but I had to end it somewhere.

@ the person who guessed it was Gray in the last chapter, originally it was going to be him but I decided to bring in a character that had only been mentioned before and see where i could go with that.

As usual please vote if you liked it and thanks for reading.

-Annie