"So how do you know Jack?"

Isaiah's pov

"So, how do you know Jack?" Ianto says. He is showing me around the hub and we are down in the cells, I think that he wanted to get me alone.

"We fought together," I say, "Before the time agency was created we were at war with an alien race called the gelth, they were gaseous but were able to inhabit the dead. That's what made them so dangerous. We decided to join up together." I reply, hoping that he won't ask anything else, I don't want to remember.

"So you and Jack aren't..." Ianto trails off.

"No," I say.

Ianto looks at me strangely, like he can sense the hurt in my voice that I tried to cover with a smile but before he can say anything the sound of an alarm rips through the hub and he sprints out of the cells with me following close behind.

Toshiko is at her computer yelling something about a rift to Jack who is talking to some people who have arrived since me and Ianto went down to the cells, there are two women who both have dark hair but are facing away from me and two men about Jack's height. He appears to be giving them orders, Jack leads the two women and Ianto out of the door while one man rushes over to a desk next to Toshiko's and the other joins her.

Toshiko beckons me over to her desk and points to her screen, "Have you ever seen anything like this?" she asks.

As I'm about to answer that the numbers and equations running across the screen mean nothing to me, another woman rushes into the hub, she has blonde hair and looks like she is younger than the others.

She runs up to Toshiko's computers and franticly starts typing, "Owen I need you to try to close the rift," she says.

The man who is at the other desk looks up, "Rose you know how that worked out for me last time I messed with the rift, besides there's too much coming through, I could destroy Cardiff, if not Wales."

"What's coming through anyway?" Rose asks.

"Hang on I can get a CCTV image," Toshiko says.

She pulls up an image that shows a crowded street full of people who are running in all directions, red gaseous creatures are coming through what looks like a crack in the sky and attempting to chase them.

"The Gelth," Rose says.

I stare at the image on screen, no not again, this can't happen again. I realise that I spoke aloud when everyone turns to me, "Who exactly are you anyway," Owen says slightly aggressively, "And don't go all silent on us like Jack always does."

"I'm an old friend of his," I say, "But what's important is that you have to call Jack right now and tell him that it's the Gelth doing this, he knows what to do."

As Toshiko uses her earpiece to tell Jack about the Gelth Rose turns to me, "What do you mean again? You weren't there the first time."

"This has happened before?" I ask, "I mean in the past."

"Yeah it has," Rose replys.

Before I can ask anything else Jack and Ianto run into the hub and start working on a piece of machinery in the centre of the hub. The two women are nowhere to be seen. Owen joins them and starts giving them equations while Toshiko continues whatever she was doing on the computer. The alarm stops blaring and Jack and Ianto move back from the machine and relax.

I look back to the image that Toshiko pulled up and see that the Gelth are gone. However, there is one man standing in the middle of the now empty street staring at the camera. Something about him seems familiar. "Jack," I say, "Come see this."

Jack joins me at the computer. His face drains of colour and he whispers a name.

Gray.

A:N/ I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a while, I couldn't upload last week because I was sailing every day and going to prize givings in the evenings and I have only just got around to uploading this week. I'm going to try to improve my timing from now on.

As usual please vote if you liked it and thank you for reading

-Annie