Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Tatyana

"So, what that means is you'll be able to finish your schooling through the program." I was half-listening to the counselor, Mrs. Lee. She was a sweet White lady with curly grey hair. My scholarships, my valedictorian-ship, all the things I've worked for is down the drain now.

"Is this under the same credentials as a regular diploma?" I asked, looking over the proper paperwork I had to sign. 

"Of course, honey. You can even still go to school." My eyes brightened at that.

"I can?" I asked.

"Yes, yes. Be on your best behavior, and you could even get a scholarship. We support the young people who want to better themselves. Especially the innocent ones." She winked at me, smiling. Told you she was sweet.

I told her what happened and she said she believed me, but scolded me about Jay. She reminded me of Big Mama, who was also mixed with White. That's where I got my fair skin and grey eyes from.

After signing the papers, she led me back to the corrections officer. I was headed towards a unit of the facility I hadn't seen yet. That's when it hit me--the scissors, the cape. They were going to cut my hair!

"It's a requirement, Miss Hill." The woman said. Remembering the best behavior I needed to be on, and I cooperatively nodded and sat in the seat. I didn't feel much, and when she was done, I shook my head. It didn't feel that much lighter, but there weren't any mirrors for me to see anything.

When I ran my hand through it, It was now just above my shoulders, which wasn't so bad.

I was now back at my cell. I didn't have an cellmate, thank God. I was by myself and free to lay back and bore myself to sleep, only I could only do so when they said it was time to sleep. The cell doors were open as mail was being handed out.

"Miss Hill." I was surprised to hear my name, and even more surprised to see I had two sealed envelopes.

I opened the first immediately, not even seeing who it was from.

Dear Taty (Can I call you Taty?),

Hello. I know what you're thinking, and no Ant didn't set you up. He feels horrible about what happened, and we're looking for loopholes to get you out. I just wanted to let you know that someone cares. Your mother came down today with a lawyer, so everything's looking up. I know it's tough, but you have to stay strong and do as they say. They bother the bad apples and leave the ones like you alone, believe me. I was incarcerated when I was seventeen and the dudes get it worse. 

Anyway, I'm still working on Kenu's case, and if you ever need an ear, an eye in this case, or a friend, I'm here. 

Keep in touch!

Sincerely,

Derrick (You can call me Dee).

I smiled. That was nice, but I still don't trust these cop dudes.

I opened the next letter, seeing it was from mama.

Dear Taty,

Hey, baby. I miss you already. You don't deserve being in that place and mama's working to get you out. You remember Jan? The woman who used to babysit y'all? She's a lawyer now! She's only charging me a total of $350 and another hundred if she gets you out. I guess that's fair. I'm going on a job interview Thursday at Macy's. I figured why not, plus I can't touch your savings. Your daddy left you that for a reason, and if you think for a minute you aren't going to college because of this small obstacle, you better think again. You're going!