Sea Boy (Part Two)

And.... this is part two! I had initially planned to end this with two parts BUT well, I think there might be one more coming up. Whoohoo~ So enjoy!

  It was strange. We sat waist-deep in the water, the ocean forming this endless blanket around us. The towel was still wrapped around my shoulders even though it was already half-drenched. If given the choice, I would want to sleep underwater. How wonderful it would feel to be enveloped by the warmth of something so ancient, so long-lasting. No matter what happens, the sea will always exist.

  Eric sat close beside, close enough to feel his warmth. I had this nagging feeling that he was linked to the sea somehow, but I couldn’t wrap my head around it. It was already hurting from remembering things I didn’t want to remember.

  He listened to my story patiently and emotionlessly. Even as I recounted the time when he smashed my head against fan so hard that I could see blood drip down the stationary blades. The moonlight cast a silvery glow to his features, outlining his sharp cheekbones and his nose. He didn’t seem human.

  When I was done, I kept my eyes on my hands, barely visible. The water shifted and swayed, blurring the definite outlines of my fingers. I remember not being able to meet anyone’s eyes after that day, how everyone suddenly went over to my side. No one believed me at first. Only Stella did, trying to tell my parents but they didn’t believe me.

Edmund was perfect; he would never harm an insect. Don’t make up stories just because you got bored of him. It wasn’t until I pulled them to the fan and showed them the deep gash in my head did they realize.

  I was so lost in my memories that I didn’t realize that Eric had reached forward to brush the hair off my forehead. I flinched back, startled.

  “Sorry,” He said quietly. “But can I take a look?”

  Logic would tell me to back away. I was marooned on an island and I had lost track of time. I knew this guy for, what, two hours? I should be running away.

  But I knew there was nothing to fear.

  I nodded.

  Carefully, he leaned forward and I felt his thumb against the rough skin of the scar. I was suddenly very aware that he had one hand cupped against my chin, his fingers framing my chin. His eyes were so close, and they were black now, just like how the ocean looked at night.

  “Did it hurt?” He asked.

  I couldn’t look away. His eyes were so intense, as if he was trying to reach into my mind.

  “It did. But it’s okay now,” I whispered.

  “But you have this scar as a reminder for the rest of your life.”

  We were so close. I could have kissed him now if I had wanted to.

  “At first, it bothered me. But after awhile, I stopped thinking about it. I want to remember, to know never to make such mistakes ever again,” I said, trying to put conviction into my voice but tears welled up in my eyes again.

  Damn.

  “Do you believe in gods, Katherine?” He asked me, his voice cautious now.

  “God?”

  “No, gods. Greek gods, mythology,” He looked almost afraid.

  “I read up about them,” I said, remembering the piles of books I dragged home after the counselor said I had to find something to live for again.