The Beginning of the End

"NIALL"

The wind was strong, carrying the slightest scent of freshly baked bread from the kitchen just a distance away from where we came to rest. Rose petals fluttered in the wind, landing onto the wooden table between us. A small, sweet smile tugged at his lips as he leaned forward and rested his elbows onto the table. The steam from his cup of tea rose and danced about, distorting my image of him between its wisps.

He rested his chin in between the palm of his hands and gazed intently down at my lips as I raised the porcelain cup up and took a small sip of the warm tea. As I placed the cup back down onto the table, he reached over and gently rested his hand on top of mine, thumb softly tracing the crevices in between my knuckles. My hands shook slightly around the cup as my eyes flickered down towards the desert plate in front of me, unable to reciprocate his gaze. He was beautiful and I was but a gaping hole of misfortune, a weed among daisies.

"Have you ever been out at sea?" he asked, trailing the tips of his fingers along mine and hooking our index fingers together as my grip loosened around the cup.

His fingers were cold to the touch, sending a chilling ripple through my body. I detached my hand from the cup and intertwined our fingers together, palms pressed flat against one another. I gazed up at him and shook my head slightly.

"We must go," he said, closing his eyes as a radiant smile spread across his lips. "The ocean stretches on for miles, as far as the eye can see; sometimes, there is this stillness and it almost feels as if time does not exist."

But Harry was wrong; time indeed does exist and it must always exist.

Literally this is the beginning of the end and I would like you to help me decide the ending! I have two ideas in mind (which I can't tell you without spoiling the story) but I was wondering which one you guys would prefer!

1. This option will extend the story on for quite a bit and may prove to be quite dramatic, depending on the characters I will be considering for certain parts; I still need to work on the kinks towards the ending, but this one will certainly be much longer than the second option.

2. This option will end the story in just a handful of chapters; the ending may or may not be the same as the first option, depending on if I can figure an alternative ending for the first one without making it cliche. In this option, they do "end" up together, but it kind of depends on your definition of "together."

Either option, I am fighting to find an ending that won't be tragic; believe me, I would stab myself in the eye if they don't end up together, so do not fret!

Sorry this update isn't much of a chapter but more so a collaboration between you and I to figure out the direction of this story. Please do let me know which one you prefer and do message me if you guys have ideas for the ending as well! I would certainly love to hear them!