Chapter Thirty-Six

Sorry I haven't updated in two months! I've been ridiculously MIA the second I decided that I was going to make my first year in college count (to be honest, I'm still shit at studying so not much has really changed).

So. I know this was literally a week ago and everyone's over it now, but since most of the writers on here posted something about it, I felt obligated to do so too. I think it's safe so say that a lot has happened in a week and we're all uncertain of which story to believe. Maybe I'm really just too far up his ass to see the light or maybe I just really believe in the goodness of the world, but I really don't want to believe that Zayn had any intentions of being a total dick. That is all. I literally refer to him as "Zen" now because this is how I cope (so yes, writing about him was tough. Regardless, I love him and I still have high regards for him) LOL.

Who even cares what I think haha! I hope you guys enjoy the chapter and I hope you all have a great day! As always, thank you so much for reading and supporting me!

⌛ ⌛ ⌛

NIALL

"So much for friendship," I muttered under my breath as Zayn gently placed his hand around Liam's waist in the most unsubtle manner and pulled the brunette closer to him. Liam leaned onto his shoulder and proceeded to curl into Zayn's side, causing the two of them to trip over each other's feet; they both began giggling among themselves as they turned over their shoulders and shyly glanced back at me.

All morning long, Liam and Zayn had been showering me with a little too much affection-when they were not showering each other with sickening glances and flirty remarks-due to their worries in regards to my health. At one point, I was unable to stand it anymore so I firmly demanded them to leave me alone. And sure enough, they had left me alone to fend for myself.

Due to the lack of provisions through the long, cold nights, whatever sickness I had still had not completely subsided. Even though we had not been walking for that long, every step I had taken without the help of Liam or Zayn was really starting to weigh me down.

When Zayn and I first journeyed to the petrol station after returning to the present, I was running off of pure adrenaline from the fear of dying out in the middle of nowhere, since the uncertainty of shelter was unnerving.

For some reason, I didn't feel any sort of adrenaline at all from the thought of being back in my own hometown, back to the place that I had missed so dearly. It was almost as if everything inside of me was screaming, begging me not to return; a part of me knew that if I stepped foot into that house again, it would hurt a hundred times more when time came to leave. In all honesty, I didn't know if I was mentally strong enough to do it on my own.

I sighed and stopped momentarily, shaking a small pile of snow off of my shoes. Although they were leather and relatively decent, they were so beat up from the years of use from its prior owners that it didn't quite live up to its intended purposes. Regardless, the shoes were obviously not made for such conditions; with every step I took, my foot completely sank into the snow, allowing snow to slip into my shoes.

Liam and Zayn, of course, were both wearing snow-appropriate footwear. I didn't dare complain about my own pair because I didn't want to become any more of a hindrance. If it weren't for the several layers of socks I had packed, my feet would definitely be soaking wet and my toes would be at risk of frostbite.

Of course, it never hurt to check for such things whenever we stopped to take a break-which wasn't very often, mind you, since Liam and Zayn were much too endorsed in their overly-affectionate touches and sappy conversations to be affected by fatigue.