Chapter Forty-Six (!)

I've been looking forward to  writing this chapter since the birth of Jesus Christ; I couldn't pass up an opportunity like Labor Day (for those in the US of A) to crank out another chapter! And yes, this chapter is 99% vanilla smut, so if that makes you uncomfortable, I am truly sorry. Though I do promise that I didn't even use the words that rhyme with "click" or "clock". With that being said, I hope you all enjoy this chapter and thank you so much for reading and supporting me!

IN OTHER IMPORTANT NEWS: I don't normally put up external music links, but this song is so completely accurate to how Niall is feeling right now. I promise it's worth playing in the  background :-)

⌛ ⌛ ⌛

"NIALL"

My legs began to shake as I stood in front of the towering gates of the Styles' mansion; I swallowed thickly, throat as dry as sandpaper and hands as damp as fresh fallen snow. I tried to take a step forward, only to crumble in a heap a couple of paces away from the foot of the gate.

I pressed my head against the ground, gripping patches of grass tightly in my hands as a string of sobs wracked through my body. Teardrops slipped from my eyes, poisoning the spring grass with a touch of sorrow. I pulled my arms towards my chest and clawed at my cloak, crying out loud; I couldn't stop the pained feeling in my heart.

"I love him," I sniffed, wiping my eyes with the sleeve of my cloak. My lips pressed together into a thin line and my eyes squeezed shut tightly as another sob shook my body like a boat caught in the middle of a thunderstorm. "Please don't take him away from me."

From the distance, the faint sound of galloping horses could be heard above the serene rustling of trees in the spring breeze; desperate to rid myself of the unpleasant thoughts which plagued me, I tried to concentrate on the gentle sound of their hooves dashing through the fresh grass.

As they got closer and closer, their heavy gallops shook the ground beneath me, rattling every bone in my body. One particular horse slowed down right before it reached me, taking its time to circle around me as its rider gazed down at me. I slowly sat up and shielded my eye from the evening sun, trying to glance up at the rider.

My heart nearly stopped when I caught sight of the gleaming green eyes I had fallen deeply for. His hair was much longer now, framing his face like a breathtaking painting in a museum; even the setting sun couldn't detract his beauty. My hands began shaking like frail leaves in the wind as I pulled the hood of my cloak back, revealing my shadowed face.

Time seemed to stop as our eyes met for the first time. A silence blanketed us, one so thick that even Nature was holding her breath.

I climbed to my feet as a strong wind swept by, rustling my cloak and blowing my hair into disarray. His breath hitched as I ran my fingers through my hair, blinking when a strand unceremoniously caught onto my eyelash. "Niall?" He climbed down from the horse, taking small cautious steps towards me, almost as if he couldn't believe it himself.

I nodded my head timidly, blushing madly as he cupped my cheeks and brushed his thumb gently against my skin. My body felt like it was on fire; even though his hands were as cold as ice, it set my skin aflame. Surely the blush was evident in comparison to my pale complexion.

My trembling hands loosely hooked onto his arms. "Yes," I replied; my voice came out hushed, reflecting the fear inside of me that this was all a dream—one that would shatter if I dared to speak louder than a whisper. I curled my body into him as another strong breeze passed by us. I glanced up at him, forcing a smile onto my face.