Chapter Forty-Three

Nobody probably cares, but I just wanted to say that this week has been the best week of my life. I got to meet my very first internet friend, ZiamsAngel and I'm going to see the boys for the very first (and probably last) time in two days! It's actually almost 4:30am where we are and she's abandoned me now, but I really wanted to finish this chapter no matter what! I just turned the ungodly age of 19 at approximate midnight and I really wanted to post this to thank you all for being such a huge part of my life! I seriously feel like such a sensitive snob with every single author's note, but this story is certainly coming to a close quite soon and I'm honestly going to miss everybody so much. I really can't thank you guys enough for reading and supporting me throughout my journey in this story thus far. I love you guys all very dearly! 

⌛ ⌛ ⌛

ZAYN

I tried to force myself to stay awake despite of the drowsiness gnawing at my consciousness; my eyes became heavy with sleep as I pushed myself to remain alert.

It was hard to relax when I had no idea in regards to our whereabouts as well as Niall's. One second the three of us were whirling through the unknown and back home; the next, I woke up with a pounding headache in a white room and an unconscious Liam beside me.

Liam shifted slightly, snuggling further into my arm as he sighed contently. I smiled as I pulled my jacket tightly around his shoulders to keep it from sliding off and brushed a stray strand of hair away from his eyes.

Resting my cheek against the top of his head, I finally succumbed to the sleep that shrouded me, gazing lazily at the blank wall opposing us. Just as I was about to close my eyes, I noticed a faint shadow casted across the wall. The sudden appearance of an unruly, cloaked man nearly startled me out of my skin and I sat up, almost knocking Liam over.

Liam drowsily let out a huff as he turned towards me, ready to glower furiously. His eyes widened when he spotted the unfamiliar man slowly approaching us. He instinctively shot a hand out and gripped tight to the sleeve of my shirt, breathing heavily as he cowered behind me.

"Come," the cloaked man said, ushering us to approach him. Liam shook his head and tightened his grip around my sleeve, choosing in that moment to prevent me from abiding to the man's command. "I've come to set you free," he clarified, flicking his hand out once again, gesturing a tad sterner this time.

At the mention of freedom, I hesitantly began to climb onto my feet; Liam, however, held fast onto my shirt and refused to let go, making the task completely impossible. He quickly shook his head and tugged on my sleeve, pulling me closer towards him.

"What if he's lying?" Liam asked, whispering harshly into my ear. It was quite ridiculous how he could possibly think that the volume he was using could possibly pass as a whisper at all.

"Are you accomplices of Niall?" the cloaked man asked, seemingly irritable by our refusal to follow him.

I nodded my head slightly and eyed him suspiciously; the mention of Niall sent an unsettling flurry of flutters into my stomach and pulled me onto the caution train with Liam. The chances of Niall being acquainted with such an outlandish man was considerably low. At the reminder of Niall, I became slightly uncomfortable and aware that this man could have been the cause of Niall's disappearance.

"Good," he said, in response to my timid nod. Before I could open my mouth to speak, he rushed towards us, cloak flapping behind him. Perplexed by his actions, I stepped in front of Liam protectively and awaited him to come close enough for me to retaliate if necessary.