Story 70--A Soldier's Return

Guide:

(Y/N): Your Name

(A.N. Happy 1st anniversary, Big Hero 6! Yes, I know this is late. But what can I do about it? I've got a lot of work to do lately. And oh, with Remembrance Day coming in Canada, I might as well do this really quick and short one-shot. Prepare for the feels.)

Finally. Today was the day that the 35th Regiment of San Fransokyo's soldiers came home. 

You recalled that day standing alone in your room, holding up a photo frame of you and the entire gang on the day of Hiro's microbot presentation for SFIT admission. All of your charming faces looked up into the camera, and with a simple click of Honey Lemon's phone, the memory was immobilized in a single image printed in a glossy sheet, framed in glass and wood. You raised a hand and stroked the picture gently, your eyes never leaving Tadashi's hopeful ones as they glanced up into the camera along with Fred's, Wasabi's, Gogo's, Honey Lemon's, and Hiro's. 

That was one of the last happy memories you had before he ran into the fire. At least he was still alive after that, but shortly after his recovery he was conscripted to fight in a war, far away, an ocean apart. Yes, he was conscripted to fight in a war in the Netherlands, which made you worry out of your mind. Of course he'll be okay, you kept reassuring yourself. If he survived a fire, he could survive anything, right?

"(Y/N)? You okay?"

The sound of Hiro's voice made you turn, briefly snapping you out of your reverie. You managed a faint smile as you put the picture frame down on the desk.

"Hey Hiro," you greeted him, biting your lip in doubt as you approached him. How much he has matured over the last three years--now in his third year at college, he was starting to look more and more like his brother at the age that you first met him, with his black hair becoming more tamed and his build becoming more and more firm. How much you missed the 14-year-old boy you used to know.

"Thinking about Tadashi again, aren't we?" Hiro asked hollowly.

You nodded, lifting a hand to Hiro's cheek as tears began to well in your eyes. "Hiro. I'm scared. What if the boat lands and everyone comes out, but Tadashi doesn't make it? I don't want to live through another day without him. Just waiting for today is already nerve wracking enough," you admitted, struggling to keep your breathing normal.

Hiro said nothing as he brought his arms around you, and you did the same. Knowing Hiro, he would always be able to find a way to cheer you up and make things better. "(Y/N), Tadashi's a fighter," Hiro assured you. "If he didn't make it out, we would have gotten a phone call by now."

"That's true," you nodded. "But so far, we're holding on."

Just then, Baymax waddled into the room, and joined you in his big squishy embrace. "You will be alright," he assured the both of you. "There, there."

You smiled and glanced up at the white plushy robot that Tadashi built with love and care. And perfected with 84 stressful tests, of course. Over the last three years he had helped you and Hiro through so many tough times that you started thinking of him more as a brother than just a healthcare nurse bot.

"Thanks, Baymax," you murmured, smiling at him through the tears pooling through your eyes.

Suddenly, a ship's loud honk made the three of you break your embrace, and you glanced out the window to see the big war ship dock at the port of San Fransokyo.

"Shall we?" you asked Hiro and Baymax. "I can't go there alone."

"Don't worry. We'll be there for you," Hiro assured you, taking your forearm gently. "Now let's go!"