Story 65--Tugging at My Heartstrings (5)

Guide:

(Y/N): Your Name

"What the...where am I?"

Slowly, groggily, you opened your eyes, swimming up to consciousness. The view was still very blurry and dark, but one look at your surroundings certainly told you that you were no longer at the Lucky Cat Cafe, or at the Performing Centre. Stark white walls graced your view, and you were lying on a smooth wooden floor. Aunt Cass's dress was torn--well, not entirely, but there were clearly some small tears here and there on the skirt. Other than the door, there was nothing else on the walls. No windows, no posters...nothing.

To you, this felt like a bare cell.

Soon, there came a BANG as Uncle Claude threw the door open, his eyes focusing on you and your crumpled form. "Oh FINALLY. You're awake," he scowled. "I was just beginning to wonder."

"Wonder what?" you seethed, gritting your teeth. "Whether I would continue resisting you? I could. I might as well be able to!" You pushed yourself up on your hands, but then Uncle Claude wagged a finger at you.

"I wouldn't be so quick at this if I were you," he warned you. "I have just reported you missing and unable to perform at the San Fransokyo Idol finals, thus disqualifying you from the running of the San Fransokyo Music School scholarship. And I even had fun scaring the owner of the Lucky Cat Cafe out of her wits!" To this, Uncle Claude threw his head back in triumph. "Oh, didn't see that coming, didn't you?" he finally asked. "Well, that's too late. Forget being a musician, (Y/N)."

"How did you even KNOW I was in the San Fransokyo Idol semi finals?" you asked, your teeth never releasing themselves from their clench.

"You think I'd be stupid? You think that I wouldn't know? I WENT, you idiot. All of San Fransokyo either had to go or watch on their flimsy televisions. So of course, I did the former. And who should I expect to see but my niece who would never understand the meaning of reality?" He shook his head in his own amusement. "You're nothing, (Y/N). You're just a stupid girl with a guitar who surprisingly turned the tide when she showed up on city-wide television! What's next for you, girl? America's Got Talent?"

"WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHUT UP?!" you screamed, getting up and punching him hard in the face.

"Oh, I would love to see when that would happen," Uncle Claude taunted, clicking his tongue. "(Y/N), a musician? Get a freaking GRIP." With that, he slammed the door and locked it from the outside, leaving you slumped against the wood as tears began to flow. You dug your hand into the pocket of the dress for the first guitar pick you had, only to remember that you left it with Tadashi. You gave it to him. As a thank you.

"Thank you for helping me realize my dreams," you told him.

Who knows what would happen to those dreams anymore.

As you laid on the floor now, silently crying, you gave up. You curled up into a ball and eventually fell asleep, exhausted from that spent energy for screaming at your uncle, and once again you saw your parents behind your eyelids.

"There's no such things as broken dreams. When something doesn't work, you have to keep trying. Promise us you would never give up. We never will," they murmured to you.

Yeah, right. With your uncle in full control of you...how would that ever happen?

****************************

"After last night's amazing spectacle in the semi-finals of San Fransokyo Idol, one of our finalists have suddenly been reported missing! The 18-year-old female shown here on this channel has been cast as the fifth and final finalist of the annual singing competition, but since her disappearance, no one has been able to find her! Will she make it back in time for tonight's finale?"