Chapter 33: First Day on Break

Kiara’s POV:

~September 19th~

I had a hard time sleeping. Niall and I had gotten into an argument over something last night. I couldn’t even remember what the argument was about.

Niall and I were risking everything we ever had by being in a relationship, and if it didn’t work out between us, we’d lose each other. That’s what I was most afraid of. Niall’s not just my boyfriend, he’s my best friend, and I can’t lose him. But all of these arguments were driving us apart.

I was awake now, laying in bed, trying to figure out some way to save what Niall and I had when there was a knock at the door.

“Perrie?” I called. I had moved in with Perrie into her and Zayn’s apartment, to look after her in case something happened, and I didn’t think that she’d be up this early.

“S’not Perrie,” Niall said. My head snapped up and I scrambled out of bed to open the door for him. He was standing there with his bag over his shoulder and a small box in his hand. He gave me a small smile when I opened the door. I nearly tackled him to the ground when I hugged him. Niall chuckled as he dropped his bag and wrapped his arms around me, resting his chin on the top of my head.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized, “I don’t want to keep fighting with you.” He twirled the ends of my hair around his fingers and kissed the top of my head.

“You shouldn’t be the one apologizing,” he said, “It wasn’t your fault.” I let him out of the hug, slipping my hand into his as he picked up his bag. I led him into the bedroom, closing the door behind us. Niall set his bag down at the end of the bed and we both sat down on the unmade top. He handed me the box.

“Don’t think that I forgot about your birthday,” he said, smiling, “How old are you now? Twenty?” I smiled. Yes, today was my 20th birthday, just six days after Niall’s.

“Yes,” I said, “And I got you something for your birthday as well.” I leaned over the edge of the bed and picked up my gift for him, which was tucked into a gift bag because I couldn’t wrap a gift to save my life. He peaked into the bag and smiled as he pulled out the scrapbook. He put the bag to the side and turned to the front cover of the scrapbook. He opened it to the first page, which had a picture of the two of us when we were young. He flipped through the pages, looking at the various pictures that we had taken throughout our lives, and when he reached the last page he was smiling so big that it looked like it hurt.

“You made this?” Niall asked and I nodded. He scooted over next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, “Well I love it,” he said. He kissed my cheek and I turned to give him a quick peck on the lips.

“Now,” Niall said, “Why don’t you open your gift now?” I looked down at the long, thin box and pulled at the ribbon Niall had tied around it. It fell off and I opened the box.

“Oh my gosh,” I breathed. Niall carefully lifted the necklace from the box.

“Happy birthday Princess,” he said. I pulled my hair back and he helped put the necklace on and attached the clasp. I looked down at the heart that hung from the chain, in awe of the sparkle of the sapphire.

“Niall,” I said, “It’s… it’s beautiful.”

“Just like you,” he said. I turned to look at him, raising an eyebrow, and he chuckled, “Yeah, I know it’s corny, but it’s true.” His smile faltered a little and he pulled me closer into him, “I know that I’ve been acting like a real ass lately and I’m sorry about that. I love you, with all my heart, and all I’ve been doing is pushing you away. I’ve just been pushing everyone away.”

“Why were you?” I asked, “You’ve been so quiet and distant; why have you been pushing all of us away?” Niall pursed his lips and sighed.

“Before I answer that,” he said, “Will you answer one question?” I nodded and he took a deep breath, “Why didn’t you tell me that fans were sending you so much hate?”

Valerie’s POV:

Holly and I had gotten a nice surprise when Harry, Louis, and Liam turned up in the flat this morning. Jennifer was staying with us at the flat while the boys were here, management’s orders. Despite her being in the fake relationship with Louis, she and I got along great. I wasn’t jealous like most people would think I would be. I was more, how should I put this… pissed off at management for forcing the four of us, Louis and I and Jennifer and Nick, to hide our relationships. I was also tired of having to sit around the flat all day unless I had an appointment. It’s almost like I was under house arrest by management.

It’ll all be worth it in the end though. The twins will be worth it. Just 19 more weeks to go.

Yeah, I was 21 weeks along now. I had also found out the sex of the twins, one boy and one girl. I was slightly worried though. My doctor said that if the babies hadn’t started kicking by 22 weeks, I should go in and she’d have to check to make sure the twins were developing okay. They hadn’t kicked once yet.

Anyways, today was Kiara’s 20th birthday. She didn’t know this, but Perrie, Holly, and I had planned a small party for her. She had told us she didn’t want anything big and we were respecting that wish of hers, but now that the boys were here we’d have a little more fun.

It was midday now and Jennifer, Liam, Louis, and I were in the kitchen. I hadn’t seen Harry or Holly yet but I’m pretty sure I knew where they were. I had just finished explaining the plans to the others and they were willing to help get things ready.

“Why don’t we also celebrate Niall’s birthday while we’re at it?” Liam asked, “We never got a chance to celebrate on his actual birthday and it wouldn’t be fair to him not to.” I agreed and we immediately went to planning some extra things for Niall as well.

Harry and Holly came downstairs, hand in hand.

“Good afternoon you two,” I said, glancing up at them, “It’s about time you two joined us down here.” Harry chuckled.

“Hello to you two Val,” he said, shuffling over to me, his arms open for a hug, “Don’t I get a hug from my sister?” I laughed and went to hug him and just as we hugged I felt it, one of the twins kicking. It felt like being poked in the stomach from the inside. Harry froze for a moment before stepping back, chuckling.

“Your baby just kicked me!”

~Six Hours Later~

It was evening now and everyone was here. Zayn and Perrie were sitting in the corner, just talking and catching up. Harry and Holly were with Liam and Jennifer in the kitchen, guarding the cake from Niall and Kiara, who were both trying to sneak in and get a quick taste of the frosting, ignoring Dan and Phil’s attempts to distract them. Louis and I were hanging out around the bottom of the steps.

“Why won’t they kick for me?” Louis whined. When one of the twins had kicked, the others had all gotten to feel one of them kick, but as soon as Louis put his hand to the bump, they stopped moving, refusing to kick for him.

“I don’t know Lou,” I said, “Maybe they inherited your sass and they’re just teasing you.” Louis pouted.

“That’s nice and all,” he said, “But they aren’t allowed to sass me.” I laughed and shook my head. The doorbell rang and I left to go and answer it. I nearly ran into Liam on the way there as he walked out of the kitchen. He quickly apologized before letting me walk ahead of him, then following me out to the living room. I opened the door.

When I saw who it was I quickly glanced back to see if Liam had seen her. He was frozen in place, staring at her. I turned back to look at her.

“Hi,” Danielle said.