Chapter 17: Heartbreak

Valerie’s POV:

It was quiet for a moment before Liam spoke up.

“What?” he asked in disbelief.

“She- she was hiding b-backstage,” Louis said, panting. We heard shouts from just outside the door and someone tried to force their way in, banging on the door. Louis held the door shut and I locked it. We both stepped back and we were all staring at the door.

I was seriously terrified, scared more than I ever have been. She’s tortured me before, and I never want to feel that pain again.

“She’s outside the dressing room!” someone from outside called. The pounding stopped and someone ran away from the door, only to be followed a few seconds later by the pounding of many feet running past our room. I felt two hands grab my shoulders and I turned to see Louis behind me.

“You’re shaking,” he said. He looked like he was thinking, contemplating something.

“I’m just scared,” I said, my voice shaking a little. He wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder.

“They’ll get her,” he whispered into my ear, “Or at the very least they’ll chase her off.”

“But she keeps coming back,” I said. Louis didn’t reply, he only held me tighter and hid his face in the fabric of my shirt.

“Sorry to interrupt the coupley moment,” Zayn said, “But how long do you suppose they’ll be at it?”

“It can’t be that long,” Liam said, “There’s only so far she can go. She’ll only be able to run for so long before she starts getting tired.” Liam and Zayn got into a discussion about this and continued for a few minutes before Harry groaned. Harry was looking at his phone, no doubt on twitter.

“What’s the matter?” Holly said.

“MY BALLS ARE ALL OVER THE INTERNET!”

About an hour later there was a knock at the door.

“It’s me guys,” Paul said. Louis got up from where he was sitting and unlocked the door. Paul walked inside the room and shut the door again.

“She escaped again,” Paul sighed, “But she’s nowhere near here. We’ve searched the entire area and we’ve determined that it’s safe enough to get you all out of here and back to the hotel.” We nodded and collected our things.

Louis had been uncharacteristically cuddly with me in the past hour. I’m not sure why he was, but I didn’t complain.

Paul led us out of the room and down the hallways, with a few more security guards tagging along behind and to the sides. We got out to the vehicle and soon, we were off.

Louis’s POV:

You have to do it.

I can’t!

It’s for her safety.

It’ll hurt her!

It’s the only way she’ll be safe.

But I love her!

I’ve had this struggle going on in my head for the past hour and I had come to a decision, the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make.

We were back at the hotel and everyone was heading into their rooms. I opened the door and stepped aside for Valerie, letting her past me before stepping inside and closing the door.

I had to do this. It would rip my heart to sheds, but if it kept her safe...

“Val,” I said, making her turn and look at me. I almost changed my mind right then and there, looking into her eyes.

Be strong Louis, it’ll keep her safe…

“Do- do you ever wonder if you’d be better off if we had never started dating?” I asked. She furrowed her eyebrows.

“Why would you ask such a thing?” she asked.

“Eleanor keeps coming after you,” I said, “She hurts you and tortures you… last time she tried to kill you!”

“Louis,” she started, “What- what are you trying to say?” I swallowed and fought back the tears that threatened to spill over.

“You can’t stay with me Val,” I said, my heart breaking with every word I said, “It’s too dangerous.”

“No,” Valerie said, her voice shaking, “No, Louis-”

“Please don’t think it’s anything you did,” I interrupted her, “It’s just-”

“It’s not you, it’s me, right?” Valerie said, her voice rising, “That’s the oldest line in the book Louis!” I was silent for a few seconds.

“I’m sorry Val,” I said, “It’s just too dangerous for you right now.” Valerie stared at me for a moment before hurrying past me and out the door, slamming it behind her. I stood there, frozen.

What have I done?