Chapter 34

Chapter 34

“Tell me what?” Louis asked.

“Louis, please understand! I just…” she cried, tears falling down her cheeks.

“Listen here, whatever the hell your name is,” Chuck said lightly and casually, “Eleanor and I have been screwing.” A smile was plastered on his lips. 

“What?” Louis asked quietly, blue eyes brimming with tears.

"For three weeks.” Chuck added. Eleanor stared at the floor, chin quivering.

“What the fuck is he talking about?” Louis spat, taking another step away from Eleanor.

“Louis, I’m so sorry, I just…” whined El, and tried to reach for him.

“No!” Louis screamed, “You cheated on me? After two fucking years? I loved you! I fucking loved you!”

“Louis, listen to me! I was going to break things off…”

“But you didn’t! You let me think that you still loved me!”

“I’m so sorry…You have no idea. I guess I just…fell out of love with you Louis.” She whispered.

I couldn’t believe they were having this conversation here, now. Everyone was staring open mouthed at them. Louis was trying to wipe away the tears that had fallen from his blue eyes. Eleanor looked ashamed, and Chuck had stepped back, but was trying to hide a smile. It was almost impossible to believe that Eleanor cheated on Louis. Louis was so in love with her and didn’t suspect a thing. And neither did anyone else, apparently. They were just as shocked. The last thing that came to mind when she was upset was that she was unhappy. Why didn’t she just break things off with Louis instead of letting him assume that she loved him? Anger flooded through me. I comforted her, was there for her, and she hurt one of my best friends. Someone who was a free spirit was now a dead battery.

“Fuck you!” Louis screamed, and stormed out of the building. Harry ran after him, and a few seconds later, everyone else followed, and walked slowly passed Eleanor, giving her dirty, angry, sad and disappointed looks. She called after them, asking for forgiveness, but no one listened. I stayed behind, and when everyone had left, stormed over to her.

“How could you do this, Eleanor?” I asked in a monotone voice. Arms crossed, I watched her as she wiped the tears away from her red-rimmed eyes.

“I don’t know. I am a terrible human being. The last thing I wanted was to hurt Louis. I am so sorry Amabel.”

“Well you did. And there is no way I am letting you near Louis. Don’t bother coming back unless it’s for your bags.”

“Wait! I can’t be alone, Amabel. You’re like a sister to me.”

I stopped and turned. “Not anymore. And you’re not alone. You have Chuck. Or was it not worth it?”

Without another word, I walked out of the building, not giving Eleanor a second glance.

Back at the beach house, no one dared to say anything to Louis. He just calmly walked to his room, no doubt holding back punching a wall. I wandered into the kitchen, a million thoughts tumbling through my head. I was just so frustrated for not seeing it. She had been so distant and now that I knew what was wrong it seemed so obvious. Almost like I could prevented it, or helped her in some way. But what she did was terribly wrong, and now she and Louis were over, and there was nothing I could do about it.

“Hey, babe,” Harry said as he poked his head in the kitchen, “are you okay?”

“Yeah,” I replied, and wiped away a tear I didn’t know had escaped, “I’m just…really sorry for Louis.”