Chapter 4

Chapter 4

With the radio providing background noise, Harry and I sat in my car and talked. Well, he talked the majority of the time while I just nodded, only half paying attention. I would just nod and say "mhmm" in the appropriate places.

Soon I came to the conclusion that I didn't hate Harry. I enjoyed his company, but at the same time I wanted him to go away. There was something about him that made me put up barriers to protect myself from something unknown, but another part that drew me to him. I didn't know what to think, and it tangled my brain up in knots. No one had ever done this to be before, and I didn’t have a clue on what to do about it.

With my feet on the wheel, and my head in my hands, I heard a car horn and looked up to see my mother's car. I turned to Harry.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your story about the bakery you worked in, but I have to go."

He looked hurt with his pleading green eyes. I had to look away so I wouldn't be caught in his unbreakable gaze. "Why?" He seemed like a little kid at that moment, almost begging me not to go with his eyes.

I sighed impatiently. "Because. My head hurts and I am freezing cold and I want this whole thing to be over." I said, gathering up my belongings into my purse and swinging it onto my shoulder.

I swung the door open and jumped outside into the cold weather. Harry followed me and met me at the front of my car.

"Amabel! Wait!" He called, grabbing my attention. "When will I see you again?" He was practically whining.

"I don't know. But when you do, you had better hope and pray I don't touch your car." I threatened. He only smiled.

A breeze chose that moment to blow a strand of hair from my face. Harry caught the runaway strand and tucked it behind my ear. I raised an eyebrow, but I didn't stop him. His touch left my skin feeling like needles, like when a limb goes numb.

"I'll see ya around." I said, giving Harry a quizzical look.

"I hope so."

I couldn't hide my smile as I sidestepped the tall boy and walked to my mother's warm car.

"Are you alright? Do we need to go to the hospital? Oh my god I was so worried!" My mother said frantically.

"I promise I'm alright."

 "Okay." She said hesitantly, looking at me from the corner of her eye.

No words were spoken during the first few minutes of the drive.

"So," She said, making conversation. "Who was that boy you were talking to?" I looked over at her, and saw her trying to swallow her smile.

I rolled me eyes. "Relax, mom, you have nothing to worry about. He didn't ask me out. But he's in a band...One Direction?" I asked, struggling to remember the name Harry had told me.

I flinched when she snapped her fingers and furiously pointed at me. "That's IT! One Direction! I thought I recognized him!"

I could only stare at her.

"What?" She demanded. "I saw them on Alan Carr the other week. Good looking lads." My mother nodded.

I let out a small laugh. I couldn't believe my mother knew something about pop culture that I didn't.

The snow flurries caught my attention as I stared out the window, Harry filling my thoughts.

What was his problem? I couldn't decide if he was cute or not. He wasn't ugly, that was for sure, but I wasn't looking at his looks alone. Personality mattered to me, and so far Harry hadn't made the perfect impression.