Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I called my mother and reassured her only a million times before she was convinced I wasn’t dead. Unfortunately, she was at a doctor’s appointment and couldn’t pick me up. I would have called my dad, but he was upstate for a business trip. This day just kept getting better and better. 

I hunkered down and got comfortable, preparing to wait until my mom came to get me. I refused the rides home from the police officers. Don't ask me why. I bit my lip, searching for my library book. Reading the prologue, I slipped on my mittens, grateful I had them in my purse.

I was sitting in the passenger seat with my legs draped across the aisle, feet crossed in the driver's seat. My attention was averted when I heard someone rap on the window of the driver's side door. Grumbling to myself, I hauled over to the other seat and rolled the window down. I looked up and saw the curly haired boy, the one that trashed my car.

"What do you want?" I snapped angrily. I don't like him. He's annoying and cocky, I could tell.

"I want to introduce myself, is all?" He leaned his arms on the window frame, peering down at me in the car. "I'm Harry." He said, giving me a wink and a smile. I grimace and raise an eyebrow. Seriously? Trying to flirt with me?

"Let me stop you right there, 'Harry'." I used a mocking tone when speaking his name. "What makes you think I want to know you?" I snapped, but he ignored me.

"Listen, I apologize for your car, and laughing in your face. You...have a Spongebob band-aid on your forehead." Harry said slowly. I closed my eyes and ground my teeth together, ripping of the band-aid and flicking it at him.

"You know what? Apology not accepted. You should become a better driver. You could have killed me!" I shouted, eyes growing wide in frustration. I began to roll up the window, but Harry stuck his hand inside.

"Wait! Let me explain!" He protested. I sighed, and reluctantly rolled the window back down. I stared into his green orbs, and something about them made me unable to look away. They were beautiful.

Shit. What did I just think? I hate him, he is annoying and immature. But still...

I blinked and broke our gaze. I convinced myself that Harry was completely irrelevant, and I hated him, and everything about him. So, I put my chin in my hands and batted my eyelashes, pretending to care what he had to say. He was annoying, I'll give him that. I didn't enjoy talking to Harry, but I enjoyed looking at him.

"Oh please explain to me!" I gushed sarcastically. Harry didn't seem to notice.

"See, I wasn't paying attention, but it's because I was on the phone with my body guard and-" I burst out in a fit of laughter, cutting him off. He looked at me confused. It was almost cute the way his eyebrows came together. Almost.

"Your...body guard?" I said between laughs. He showed me his dimples in return.

"That's right." Harry shook his curls and brushed them away with his thumb. “His name is Paul.”

"Wow." I whispered to myself. Was that a move to impress me? That he was so important that he needed a body guard? Pathetic.

Is he that conceded? Boys had tried many pick up lines on me, but they never worked. I had never heard the “I have a body guard” line before. It made him seem so weak. It was strange considering he had such large muscles and broad shoulders. Not that I was staring.

But maybe I was.

I had never been the girl that had many boyfriends. I had one or two yes, but they weren’t necessarily…successful. A lot of boys said they wanted me, but I knew it wasn’t for more than sex. I was insecure, and I didn’t like to be close to many people besides my family.