seven

"thank you again, for helping me. it means a lot that you would take the time to do this, especially after i refused to do anything yesterday," michael gratefully smiled, appreciating how helpful his teacher was.

"what kind of teacher would I be if I didn't help a student in need?" luke chuckled quietly to himself, glancing at the browned haired boy before adverting his eyes onto the paper.

"a normal one," michael muttered, twirling his pencil between his fingers. he could see his teacher giving him a look of confusion out of the corner of his eyes, so he continued, "teachers don't care about helping their students anymore. it's like they expect us to know everything after they explain it, but some of us need a little more explaining."

"so why don't you ask for a little more explaining?"

"I don't want to be that kid in the class who slows down the whole lesson."

"ah, I see," luke clasped his hands together in front of him, letting them rest on his legs, "but, teachers are here to specifically help you when you need it. don't worry about the other kids, if you need help, then ask for help."

"I can't not worry about the other kids in class when everyone in this school is constantly judging every little thing someone does," michael told the twenty-seven year old, a sad expression set in his features.

michael knows how it feels to be judged, and criticized. there's always certain kids who feel like they need to bring someone down to feel good about themselves.

michael was a smart kid, luke could tell. not just smart in the way of school and his classes, but in the way where he is aware of what's going on in the world.

"i know it's hard right now, but as you grow it will get better. soon, you will be out of high school, and you will be off doing your own thing," luke encouraged.

the seventeen year old didn't believe it would ever get better for him, but for the sake of himself, he only nodded, wanting to drop the subject, "so, are we finished with this paper then?"

luke nodded, "you did a great job on it. i can see why you got invited to the honors award ceremony."

michael's eyebrows furrowed together, his head tilted slightly to the right, "how did you know i got invited to that?"

"i'm a teacher at the school, we all got emailed a list of who made it," the older man chuckled as he took the paper from michael's desk.

"oh, right. i'm not quite sure if i'm going to attend that yet."

"why wouldn't you? it's a great achievement, michael. you can't miss out on something like that," luke explained, urging that that younger boy should go.

michael shrugged, "i guess it's not that big of a deal to me."

luke opened his mouth to speak, but shut it just as fast. he wanted to convince michael that it was a big deal, but he wasn't in charge of doing that. he didn't want to be the one who tried to change the thoughts in michael's mind. he wanted the younger boy to know he could think whatever he wanted to think.

he took a deep sigh, "just think about it, yeah?" luke smiled, "after all, i'm going to be there."

+ + +

thank you for 1k reads, you are all fucking amazing people

also, what's your favorite song on sgfg? mine is catch fire :-)