twenty seven

luke was awoken when the sound of his phone alerted him. he tiredly blinked his sleepy eyes, adjusting them to the early sunday morning sunlight that shone through the blinds. there was another figure beside him and he sleepily smiled once seeing michael there.

without disturbing the sleeping boy, he reached for his phone on the night stand. he unlocked it, seeing who the text was from.

from / ashton

can we meet soon? I would love to see again.

luke remembers swapping numbers with ashton the night calum dragged him out. he never truly expected to hear from him, much less see him again.

he simply ignored the text, tossing his phone to the side to admire the pretty boy who was asleep beside him. he was glorious, even in his slumber. with lips slightly parted, rosy cheeks, and soft snores, everything about the seventeen year old was perfect to luke. he would never understand how someone could be perfect, at least in his eyes.

luke kisses the tip of michael's nose, his cheekbones, his chin, his forehead. the younger boy stirred, eyes fluttering open to reveal the green irises beneath his eyelids. perfect.

"good morning sleepy head," luke greets, tracing unknown patters onto michael's hip with the tip of his index finger.

"morning," michael mumbles, his voice hoarse from just waking up.

luke loved the feeling of waking up next to someone who meant so much to him. he loved that michael was the first person he saw when opening his eyes. he loved having someone to hold close to him all night.

"did you sleep okay?" luke couldn't remember what time they went to bed. it wasn't even planned for michael to sleep over, they just fell asleep during a movie.

michael nodded, burying the side of his head deeper into the pillow, "mhm."

luke let out a sigh content, letting himself leave a chaste kiss onto michael's lips before he removed himself from the comfort of his bed, sliding on a pair of basketball shorts.

"I'm hungry," luke says, pulling a random t-shirt over his head, "care to join me for some breakfast? I make some pretty good pancakes."

michael laughs. it's a laugh that makes his eyes squint together and his nose scrunch up. it's a laugh that no one can cause except for the blonde. it feels nice to laugh, after so long of being unhappy. it's a laugh that is well deserved.

"okay," michael agrees.

he begins to dress himself, slipping on the clothes he had worn the previous night since he only slept in his briefs. he ran his fingers through his thick hair, trying to tame the bed head he woke up in.

he follows luke out into the kitchen where he grabs the ingredients he needs. michael watches him, inspecting everything he adds into the bowl and the way he pours them into the pan. he can here the twenty-seven year old hum a tune. it's a song he can't quite make out, but he likes listening to it anyways.

luke makes two pancakes for each them. he pours syrup over them and sets the plate in front of michael where he was seated.

luke took a seat next to michael around the small dining table. this is how he wanted his life to be; waking up every morning and making the person he loved breakfast, sharing sweet kisses. he could get use to this.

michael is picking at his food, not really eating much. he doesn't feel like himself this morning. this happens sometimes. he will wake up, not feeling like his normal self, usually because he has something on his mind that that he can't stop thinking about.

"i didn't come to your place because i was stressed about school," michael says out of the blue.

"hm?" luke's head tilts to the side, his mouth full of pancakes.

"the other day when i showed up here upset, it wasn't because i was stressed about school like i told you i was," mike has never talked about his home life to anyone before. he was never comfortable enough to share it with someone, but he has never felt what he feels for luke before.

luke set his fork down on his plate, signaling to michael that he was listening, "my mum introduced me to her new boyfr—or i guess i should say fiancé. she's getting married and she didn't bother to introduce me to the guy sooner."

"how long have they've known each other?" luke questions.

"i didn't bother asking. i don't really like talking about it to anyone, especially my mum," mike adverts his eyes to where there is a loose thread on his shirt that he has been tugging at, only making it look worse. the younger boy huffs, "she could have been seeing him for years for all i know. why wouldn't she want to tell me?"

"sometimes parents have a mind of their own," luke places his hand on michael's knee to comfort him. he liked how michael trusted him to be telling him this, "you have to let her know how you feel."

"don't you think i've tried? she completely ignores me like my opinion doesn't matter to her," just thinking about his home life gets michael agitated.

luke bites down onto the corner of it lip, "i don't think she realizes that she is making you feel this way."

"i don't know," mike sighs out of frustration, "i felt so alone before you came into my life. i never knew that one person could make that all change."

luke softly smiles at the dark haired boy. he placed a soft kiss to his wet lips, "you are always going to have me."