thirteen

luke was overwhelmed with a lot lately. all the papers he had to grade and all the students he had to deal with. he was behind on his rent for his home, for the job he had paid an undeniably shitty amount of money. he was overwhelmed with just about everything and anything, really. thinking back to his younger self, he would have never imagined that his life was going to turn out this way.

he tried everything to boost himself up all day. he drank four cups of coffee throughout all of his classes. he wouldn't allow himself to sit down, worrying that he might get to comfortable and fall asleep. he also couldn't remain standing without feeling like his legs would collapse on him. his eyes grew heavier as each class went by. he was so tired.

he never thought the time would come when the last class of the day ended. he would finally be able to go home and catch up on some sleep that is very much needed from the small amount of rest he has gotten lately.

he dramatically sighed, letting his lanky body collapse down into his chair that was placed behind his desk. his muscles ached with almost every movement.

when hearing footsteps approach him, he couldn't help but let out a whine. he couldn't, nor did he want to, deal with any other kid today. he ran his hands down his somewhat textured face and rubbed his eyes with the sides of his closed fist.

"mr. hemmings?" it's an all too familiar voice. luke knows of it right away, and immediately changes the expression on his face so he looked a tad bit happier.

"hey, michael," the blonde greeted, a smile spreading on his thin lips that made michael wonder how he could always seem to smile, even when he was as tired as he is from what michael could tell with his bloodshot eyes.

ever since the other day, michael seems to notice more about his teacher. for instance, he noticed how when he would smile, a wrinkle formed onto his forehead. it was only one, barley noticeable, but michael noticed it.

michael opens his mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. strangely, he didn't know why he came up to luke in the first place.

"is everything okay?" luke didn't mean to keep repeating the same question, he was just a concerned person in general.

"everything's fine," mike replied quickly, "i guess i just wanted wanted to say hi."

a small chuckle falls past luke's lip and michael can feel his cheeks begin to heat up. michael doesn't know what it is, but there's something about his teacher that is beginning to intrigue him more. something that makes michael always want to be talking to luke.

"what about you?" michael licked over his chapped lips, "is everything okay?"

"you could say that," luke leans forward in his chair, letting his arms rest on his desk and trying very, very hard to keep his eyes open.

the younger boy lifts one of his thick eyebrows, "that doesn't sound very assuring."

"i've just been tired lately, it's no big deal."

"i think being in school has the tendency to make everyone tired."

"you may be right," luke laughs softly once again.

not wanting the conversation with his teacher to end just yet, michael racks something else up in his brain to talk about, "what made you want to become a teacher anyways?"

luke had to dig down deep and think of an answer for that because, in reality, he had not one clue of any reason why he did become a teacher. there was no reason for it, it just happened.

"its hard to say, honestly. this was never a career i thought about doing up until college," luke answered, very much enjoying that michael and him were able to have conversations like this. he wanted to always be able to talk to the seventeen year old about everything that was on his mind and share all of his secrets with him.

"what were you planning on doing before college?"

"something with music. particularly writing songs. i guess since i enjoyed writing songs so much it gave me the idea to become an english teacher so i would be able to write in some type of way," the blonde explains.

"why didn't you stick to writing music?" and michael knew he was asking far to many questions by now, but he liked hearing about his teachers life and getting to know more about him.

luke shrugged, "its hard getting into the music business. you either succeed or you fail, and i wanted to make enough money so i could move out of my home and be on my own. i didn't want to risk potentially failing and not having another choice."

michael didn't ask anymore questions. he bit on the inside of his cheek and, once again, took more time to just study luke. michael has been attracted to people before, specifically boys of course, but being attracted to luke was different. he was much older, much more mature. he never realized his attraction for the older man up until they began talking quite often.

once luke realized that michael had no more to say, he stood up, trying his best not to let out another whine.

"you heading home?" luke questioned, grabbing his computer bag from off the ground and swinging it over his left shoulder. he took a stack of papers from his desk and shoved them in the front pocket.

michael nodded and took a few steps backwards away from his teachers desk so luke could pass by him and make his way to the door.

"come on then," luke says, opening the wooden door, "i'll walk you out."

luke shuts off the lights and the only thing that helps michael see his way through the room is the light coming from the windows. he mumbles a short 'thanks' to his teacher for holding the door for him as the two exit the room and enter the hallway. it's empty by now, all kids on their way home. the two don't share any words as they walk down the hall together.

the sunlight beams down on their faces as they step outside. their eyes squint simultaneously as their eyes adjust to the sun.

"i'll see you tomorrow then, yeah?" luke says as they come to a stop.

"yeah," michael replied, stating done at his feet.

luke's eyes wander around, looking at anything his eyes were drawn to, "did you walk?"

michael nods, "do you—" luke pauses, taking his bottom lip between his teeth. his throat forms a lump, trying to stop him from saying anything, but it doesn't work, "do you want a ride?"

michael has a debate with himself to whether or not he should agree, "sure," he eventually says.

most of the car ride home was silent, for the mere fact that both boys were beginning to have mutual feelings for each other, and it was scaring the hell out of both of them.

+ + +

the good parts will be coming soon i promise