eleven

michael silently laid in his room, his headphones in playing a song on his playlist. there was an hour to go until he had to be at the award ceremony - an event that he was still unsure if he was going to. usually, he wouldn't wait until the last minute to decide, but he kept debating with himself about whether it was truly a good idea.

when there was only thirty minutes left before he had to be anywhere, he finally got some motivation to step out of his bed and drag his feet along the cream colored carpet over to his closet. in all honesty, he highly doubted he was going to have anything to wear to this event anyways.

he rummaged through his closet, which was an utter mess. the seventeen year old has been meaning to clean it, but every time he tried, he gave up shortly after.

michael was on the verge on not going when he couldn't find a single thing to wear from the clothes that were messily thrown everywhere. eventually, with only a tiny amount of time left to spare, he found a decent enough outfit.

he tried making himself look presentable. he tucked his black button down into his his jeans, he even managed make his hair look like he actually took some time to style it.

since he had no other way of transportation, and the school was only two blocks away, michael decided to walk. his mum said she would be there to see him, but he didn't get his hopes up to much knowing that he has been let down several times before when his mum said she would show up.

michael approached the school shortly before the event started. the parking lot was filled with cars from the families that were here. he already regretted coming.

by the time the ceremony started, everyone was quiet as the lights got dim. michael was surrounded with other people who were also receiving an award from his school. they called everyone one by one, and michael was one of the first since they called the kids up in alphabetical order by last names. everyone was handed a small plaque.

after everyone had accepted their award, the room started clearing out slowly. the seventeen year old searched for his mum, but from what he could tell, she didn't show up.

"i'm glad you decided to come," an all to familiar voice spoke from behind michael. he looked back over his shoulder, a sad smile on his face as he turns his body towards luke.

"it was a waste of time, if i'm being honest," michael admitted, his eyes scanning over the award in his hands.

"and why do you think that?" luke questioned out of curiosity.

michael looked down at his feet. he shrugged, "i guess when no one you care about is here to see it happen, it's not as big of a deal as you think it is."

luke's lips were tugged down on the sides into the form of a frown for two reasons; one being from the most heartbreaking look appear on michael's face, and two hearing michael say that he cared for no one here when the older man desperately wanted to be someone michael cared about, but bhe brushed number two off his shoulder for now.

"i just think this is all overrated," michael continued, his nerves rising up with each second he stood there, "why do they need to reward our intelligence with a piece of metal? none of this is going to matter in the future."

michael never liked getting himself worked up, but that's exactly what he was doing now. a part of him is embarrassed and upset that his mum didn't show up, and the other part of him just felt alone and angry.

luke could tell how upset michael was getting. he scanned his eyes around the room before he set his hand on michael's shoulder, "why don't we get out of here, yeah? i don't really like crowds."

luke was lying, he didn't mind crowds, but he needed an excuse to get out of here since he could clearly tell michael wasn't to happy right now. all it took was a nod from the younger boy to clarify that he also wanted to get out here, so they exited the building as quickly as they could without having any run-ins with anyone.

"is there anywhere you need to be right now?" luke asks michael, his hands tucked into his front pockets as the two slowly walk side-by-side out into the parking lot.

michael's eyes squint as the sun pops up from behind the clouds, "i guess not."

"would you like to grab a bite to eat?" luke can sense the slightest bit of tension the words left his mouth, but he tries to ignore it, "i mean, i know i'm your teacher and all, but let's just forget about that for that for now. you seem down and i want to help cheer you up a bit, if that's okay with you?"

michael doesn't think to much of it. he figures he rather do anything else than go home right now, "sure, that sounds perfect."

+ + +

sorry i haven't updated in forever :( i took a little hiatus from here. i know this chapter is boring and all

give me some good shows to watch on netflix